USA, USA, USA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I thought he was looking great in the earlier games, like any sport you can't win if you don't score.
Agree, but the wind was taken out of our sails on the third goal. He didn't even move.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
On that last goal the goalie was screaming at the defense to cover that cross.
Exactly . Mark the man in the box .
Play the ball through and move to the spot and you'll get your chances . That was painful . I don't normally scream at the TV like I was .
Played until I was 35 , and coached K thru 8th grade . Boys and girls .
Never ceases to amaze me how much these games can resemble little league at times .

Reactions: clifish and gmc2003
My feeling is that our inexperience was our biggest issue. Had the players been better able to manage the match, we could have had a better result.

USA soccer has a lot to look forward to. The youngest team that made it to the round of 16, second youngest team in the WC, my impression is all positive.

Reactions: dls1 and gmc2003
USA soccer has a lot to look forward to. The youngest team that made it to the round of 16, second youngest team in the WC, my impression is all positive.
I will agree with that . Could have executed fundamentals better is where my frustration comes from .

Reactions: gmc2003
My feeling is that our inexperience was our biggest issue. Had the players been better able to manage the match, we could have had a better result.

I'll give them the inexperienced excuse because it's basically their first time playing on big stage in front of the world, but they've all played in big games before. I hope they grow from this.

I will agree with that . Could have executed fundamentals better is where my frustration comes from .
At times it seemed like they were either lost, afraid of making a play, or trying to be to cute by making the extra pass when it wasn't needed.

Man I like being an armchair midfielder.

Chris

There was no soccer back when we were kids Gary. When you got to high school you put on some pads and learned how to hit!
No youth soccer when I was growing up. It started in high school, and our team was basically made up of hockey players getting in shape for hockey season. God it was ugly but fun. Not many teams wanted to play against us.

Chris

Did you play with the Hanson brothers ? Lol .
LOL I think we may have been the inspiration for the movie. We found out early on that what's legal in hockey isn't legal in soccer.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
I played fullback . Had a coach tell me that the first play that comes my way to knock the crap out of the guy . That way he will worry about it for the rest of the game . Lol .

Reactions: sawhorseray
That was a good strategy. It's amazing what fear is capable of doing to ones psyche. Not to mention it gives you that puff up your chest moment.

Chris

Saw the below on my Jeep forum, thought it belonged here.
1670256286682.png

• Haha
Reactions: gmc2003
I can tell you the exact moment I stopped watching this WC. Saturday morning. Argentina vs Australia. 61:27 on the clock. Argentina player goes down faking an injury on an Aussie player's block.

Slow motion replay indicated the Argentina player WAS NEVER TOUCHED.

I said something unprintable here and switched channels to something equally implausible...a Hallmark Christmas movie.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky