USA, USA, USA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Only time I watch soccer is the World Cup.
Wish I could have watched the game yesterday. (Busy turning customers water off for nonpayment) I’ll be sure to watch the game Saturday.
They are starting that by you as well? I printed over the summer, 15,000 door hangers regarding shut offs for our county water authority.

They are starting that by you as well? I printed over the summer, 15,000 door hangers regarding shut offs for our county water authority.
The water system I work for never stopped. We are more lenient, 2 months behind you get your water turned off.

Thats a lot of door hangers! We do door hangers also every month too. Usually around 100 door hangers warning customers of no payment and shut off.

The water system I work for never stopped. We are more lenient, 2 months behind you get your water turned off.

Thats a lot of door hangers! We do door hangers also every month too. Usually around 100 door hangers warning customers of no payment and shut off.
There are over 500,000 residences in our county. Being in a liberal state I am sure they stopped the shut offs during covid like they stopped the evictions. Of course instead of the Govmnt paying the landlords for rents they paid the tenants who of course kept the $$ and did not pay rent because they knew they could get away with it for 2 years or more.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
For a really young team the USA played a great first half. I'm not sure who came up with the game plan for the second half, but that decision needs to be reevaluated. I think we only have one player Pulisic who's ever played in a World Cup before.

Chris
Actually pulisic was one of the players who was on the team that didn't qualify last cycle.

Yedlin was the player who played in the last world cup we qualified for. It has been fun to watch him grow, though he seems to have leveled off. I am a sounders season ticket holder and he started as a home grown player for the sounders.

Reactions: gmc2003
Very sad what's going on in Iran for the last few months. Hoping the people can over come their religious leaders/government. I read many articles today and saw many pictures of Iranians pulling for us to win and flying American flags in the stands in an apparent rebuke of their circumstances.
That's not the only issue with this world cup. A big part of fifa is human rights and equal opportunity and the fact that they can even host the world cup in Qatar, given their stance on human rights is hard to understand. The captains of the European federation wanted to wear 'One Love' arm bands and were told they could. A few days before the start, fifa came down and said that any person who wore one would get an automatic yellow card.

Add to that they wouldn't even allow beer drinking during the match, another last minute decision just before the first match.

Actually pulisic was one of the players who was on the team that didn't qualify last cycle.

Yedlin was the player who played in the last world cup we qualified for. It has been fun to watch him grow, though he seems to have leveled off. I am a sounders season ticket holder and he started as a home grown player for the sounders.
Ooops, my bad. Still hope he can play in the 16.

Chris

That's not the only issue with this world cup. A big part of fifa is human rights and equal opportunity and the fact that they can even host the world cup in Qatar, given their stance on human rights is hard to understand. The captains of the European federation wanted to wear 'One Love' arm bands and were told they could. A few days before the start, fifa came down and said that any person who wore one would get an automatic yellow card.

Add to that they wouldn't even allow beer drinking during the match, another last minute decision just before the first match.
FIFA is as corrupt as the Olympic committee's all about payoffs and $$$$

Last edited:
I've played soccer, and coached soccer, but the only time I'll watch it is during the World Cup. It's one of the few times(besides the Olympics) that it doesn't matter if your a Yankees fan, Red Sox fan, Rangers fan, Chiefs fan or even a Browns fan that we all can come together and root for the same team. Since we support it with our taxes it's our team.

Chris

Sorry Cliff I forgot the Islanders. :emoji_laughing:

I've played soccer, and coached soccer, but the only time I'll watch it is during the World Cup. It's one of the few times(besides the Olympics) that it doesn't matter if your a Yankees fan, Red Sox fan, Rangers fan, Chiefs fan or even a Browns fan that we all can come together and root for the same team. Since we support it with our taxes it's our team.

Chris

Sorry Cliff I forgot the Islanders. :emoji_laughing:
I grew up playing soccer but don't watch it much. I barely watch the Olympics as it has turned too political. Now hockey, I can watch any two teams play....only will watch the Rangers if they are losing...lol

Kind of like the Cowboys...only if they are losing!

Reactions: gmc2003
I grew up playing soccer but don't watch it much. I barely watch the Olympics as it has turned too political. Now hockey, I can watch any two teams play....only will watch the Rangers if they are losing...lol

You must watch a lot of Rangers games then.

Chris

But the cheerleaders... :emoji_blush:

Ryan

What I don't understand is how people afford to go to the World Cup? If you've looked at the ticket prices, airfares, and hotel rooms...wow. Some folks are paying $500/night to live on a cot in an unairconditioned tent many, MANY miles away from the venues.

I had an uncle (RIP) who had connections. All this was before tickets had computer ID codes on them. He'd buy two Super Bowl tickets every year. He'd fly in, scalp the tickets, pay for his entire trip, and watch the game in his hotel, enjoying the host town's festivities.

He also had Lakers, floor-level, season tickets. He never saw the end of a game because he always left early to avoid traffic. He was a character. RIP Uncle Fee.

What I don't understand is how people afford to go to the World Cup? If you've looked at the ticket prices, airfares, and hotel rooms...wow. Some folks are paying $500/night to live on a cot in an unairconditioned tent many, MANY miles away from the venues.

I had an uncle (RIP) who had connections. All this was before tickets had computer ID codes on them. He'd buy two Super Bowl tickets every year. He'd fly in, scalp the tickets, pay for his entire trip, and watch the game in his hotel, enjoying the host town's festivities.

He also had Lakers, floor-level, season tickets. He never saw the end of a game because he always left early to avoid traffic. He was a character. RIP Uncle Fee.
I don't get that in general, what people pay for houses, leases, socializing. My wife and I did pretty good over the years but we saved. Big comp check, tax refund etc...never changed our spending, no running out to buy something. I guess that mentality came from watching my father's business crash in the 80's when the defense industry also crashed...I have always had somewhat of a depression mentality since then. Listen, we spend a bunch but always lived below our means.

Almost kick-off time. Let's go USA.

Chris

Well I've seen better starts. Keep'in the faith.

Chris

They also need a more aggressive goal keeper. He can't just stand flat footed on the goal line.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky