USA, USA, USA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
USA tops Iran 1-0, We take on the Netherlands coming up on Saturday.

Good 1st half, then we kind of went into a prevent defense in the 2nd. If we beat the Netherlands it's off to the quarter finals.

Chris

Last edited:
The Dutch will probably be the favorites, but they're a very beatable favorite. I hope Pulisic heals enough to play.

Chris

Thank goodness!

If USA can't sort out how to play the second half, it will be a very difficult match to win.

For a really young team the USA played a great first half. I'm not sure who came up with the game plan for the second half, but that decision needs to be reevaluated. I think we only have one player Pulisic who's ever played in a World Cup before.

Chris

Reactions: Nefarious
Thought they should had three goals in 1st half
I can't remember the guys name but he kept kicking the ball over the crossbar.

Chris

I didn't get to see the Wales game and only saw parts of the England game. They're a good team when they're playing an aggressive style of play. One thing I did notice is they seem to try to make one to many passes instead of putting the ball on the net.

Chris

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Very sad what's going on in Iran for the last few months. Hoping the people can over come their religious leaders/government. I read many articles today and saw many pictures of Iranians pulling for us to win and flying American flags in the stands in an apparent rebuke of their circumstances.

They certainly got a few good calls in the first half. Nothing in the second half was as bad as contestested. They better step it up now.

USA! We had it on at work today, it was a good break from time to time. Nobody in the department knows much about soccer, but we all cared today!

USA! We had it on at work today, it was a good break from time to time. Nobody in the department knows much about soccer, but we all cared today!
Soccer? And here I thought it was football! Lol :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
It has always bugged me that American football is called football. I know the history of blending rugby and soccer, but still, a foot barely touches the ball. Kickoffs, punts, field goals, and extra points alone don't justify the name.

Hikeball, Runball, Fieldball, Gridironball, Smashball, Pigskinball, Hardtoholdball, Lacesball, Playball, Downsball, Armorball, all lack a sporting character. And as many years as I've thought about it, the only other name that makes ANY sense is Tackleball.

So, until some idiot sues to change the name, I'll call American football football and LOVE every minute of the game. And watch soccer every World Cup.

Last edited:
I don’t have anything against it. I’ve just always known it as soccer. I suppose in my head it’s the same as naming a place you park as a driveway and a place you drive as a parkway. It doesn’t make sense, but it’s always what I’ve called it. No harm, no foul…or yellow card🤣

Only time I watch soccer is the World Cup.
Wish I could have watched the game yesterday. (Busy turning customers water off for nonpayment) I’ll be sure to watch the game Saturday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky