Uptake smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sweetwilly

Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
texas
I need to know about the reality of the smoke that is consumed into the meat. I read that once the meat product reaches the internal temperature of 145 degrees all other smoke past this point is over kill and is wasted. Does this sound logical? I also read that it takes an average of 4 to 6 hours of indirect smoking to accomplish the uptake of smoke into the meat.

Howdy sweetwilly, welcome.

It is true that the smoke ring stops forming at that temperature but meat will continue to take on smoke flavor as long as it is in the smoker. If you're using stronger flavored woods then you can wrap meat in foil or switch to charcoal or lighter flavored wood when it has taken on enough smoke for your taste. One of the reasons I like pecan so much is it has a good flavor and is mild enough that it usually won't over power the food. So if you're using a lighter flavor you can continue to add smoke wood during the entire cook. It boils down to personal preference, if the smoke is too strong or bitter to you then use less or a lighter flavored wood.

As far as I am concerned, smokeing the whole time is the way to go. When I smoke a shoulder they just keep getting darker and darker the longer I smoke. Look under “smoking meat/pork/topic pulled pork (new to smoking)†for a picture of a shoulder that smoked for 12 hours or so. At hour 6 it was brown. At hour 12, it looks like the picture. I feel that deep down, the meat continues to take on smoke flavor even at 12 hours. Anecdotal evidence to me is southern pork barbecue from the best of the BBQ best joints that utilize true pit barbecuing. They smoke around the clock and the heat from the smoldering embers is all the heat they have. Their BBQ is the best on the planet. They donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t just smoke a few hours and quit, they smoke for as long as 24 hours. When you remove meat from 2 inches into the shoulder and it has a subtle delicious flavor of smoke, they you have arrived. This is proof that smoke penetration extends far deeper than the smoke ring. I say, keep it smoking! Those that want to stop at 4 hours or so, are taking the easy route.

Regards,
Aubrey Page

i like a HEAVY smoke flavor and have recently discovered oak 8)

it is my new favorite and i second what bob says the 140* is for the smoke ring, the meat will continue to take on smoke flavor as long as its rollin out the chimney so if you like a heavy smoke flavor also keep the smoke rollin'

I agrees with smokin_all_night, The way I do my it wrap in foil for 3 hour at 170 then unwrap, let cook for the next 12-14 hours at 190 and using a mix of hickory and oak that with pork and beef. Going to smoke this week and will send pix of it.
vette

When I smoke meat,I use wood the whole time.But I noticed that the first couple of slices really taste bad.I smoked a couple of roasts using oak.Couldn't eat any of the roast,the taste made you sick.I used it for stew.I smoked a ham for my brother,using oak,apple and maple.He said first couple of slices tasted real smokey.The rest of the ham was fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky