Upscale Steak Dinner: Turf & Kinda Surf (Mega Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Did this dinner the first weekend after we got home from out trip to TN...and still reeling from the abysmal food we had while on the road. Two of our very best friends we'd not seen for a long time due to several things that came up. Decided to extend an invite, which was graciously accepted. Gave them several options for dinner and they chose what I thought they would: NY Strip steaks, which are their absolute favorite of all the steaks. Thought it might be a good time to pull out the stops and do a really nice dinner.

The steaks. Three really nice CPB Strips
005.jpg

Rubbed with a bit of Worcestershire sauce then a nice sprinkle of black pepper and garlic powder. Also a bone for Bianca.
006.jpg

Now to the "kinda surf" part: crab stuffed mushrooms. Clean out the caps and get them ready. Only a couple of us will be eating these so didn't need to do a bunch.
001.jpg

Mix up a hybrid batch of crab filling I came up with reading recipes on the Internet and stuff the caps. This is a first for me.
002.jpg

Now to a batch of 5-cheese scalloped potatoes. Taters, onions, cheddar, Romano, Parmesan, and pepper jack cheeses.
003.jpg

Repeat until the casserole dish is full and pile on some mozz (the 5th cheese) and a sprinkle of black pepper. Add a nice drizzle of milk and it's ready to cook.
004.jpg

Appetizer platter with 4 different cheeses
007.jpg

Another first. I finally got good info from our friend Bearcarver Bearcarver on how to get perfect hard boiled eggs so did some and made Deviled Eggs. Man these were good!! Bear, please notice that there is an even number of eggs here :emoji_wink:
009.jpg

Appetizer spread
008.jpg

Steaks on the Rec Tec. Plan was to run them on low temp / extreme smoke to an IT of 115, pull, cool, and sear to finish.
010.jpg

Since I was doing a nice dinner, Tracy got all sorts of fancy on us. A bit early for Fall deco, but who am I to argue?
011.jpg

Last time I did scalloped taters I didn't get them fully cooked and they were a it crunchy. Not making that mistake again so these go on early
012.jpg

Mushrooms on the grill with some butter in the skillet.
013.jpg

The steaks when they hit 115. At this point I called an audible. The color on these things is amazing so decided to just run them low and slow till an IT of 128 and forego the sear.
014.jpg

Rick and Susan brought a peach cobbler. Takes 90 minutes to cook so it's in the oven.
015.jpg

The entire dinner spread. They also brought a really nice salad.
016.jpg

You've already seen the taters but here's the 'shrooms
017.jpg

The salad
018.jpg

And the steaks. The color on these things is incredible!!
019.jpg

My dinner plate
020.jpg

Sliced shot of the steak. I'd say I about hit the mark with these.
021.jpg

And of course a close up shot of the steak.
022.jpg

Cobbler all done.
023.jpg

And served with French Vanilla ice cream.
024.jpg

Wow...this was a great dinner. The mushrooms were a huge hit and all were eaten, as well as the deviled eggs. To my surprise, Tracy at 3 of the eggs and she's not a fan. The steaks were simply off the charts. Nice light smokey flavor, perfectly cooked, super tender and juicy. Honestly though, the star of the show was the scalloped potatoes. Far and again the best any of us have ever had. This is another one that Tracy is really not a fan of but she tore these things up. At the end of the day there were only a few steak scraps left from the ladies. All the taters, mushrooms, and deviled eggs were history. I don't know how we managed dessert but something about fresh peach cobbler and really good ice cream is impossible to pass up :emoji_wink: Sure is nice to be home, have friends like R & S, and the availability to put together a dinner like this. It was outstanding and one for the record books.

Well, once again I warned y'all it was a long one but thanks for sticking with me....assuming you made it all the way through :emoji_laughing: Gonna call it a wrap. See everybody soon because there is a prime rib feast going on this weekend that clifish clifish said he was gonna attend :emoji_blush: I guess we'll see about that....

Robert

Damn Robert that all looks amazing but I got to say the star of the show was the steak! Man those have some beautiful color and were perfectly cooked. All in all a great meal!

Killing it again Robert! Being from NY you would think I would have strip steak???? but no...lol

Looks great Robert. Scalloped spuds done on the smoker also ? I couldn't get the timing down on them either last time.
Peach cobbler sure looks like a winner also.

Wow Robert just Wow. I am literately drooling from those pictures. Where to start. That table looks beautiful! I just love Devil eggs and a great way to start any meal. Those mushrooms look awesome buddy. I did the same thing with last Ribeye I smoked, looked so good did not see point in searing. The peach cobbler, Mmm. I been doing Peach Cobblers all summer since I found out you can take those hard $.99 peaches and put in a bag with something ripe and come out nice and sweet. I have found using Buttermilk in place of regular makes a huge difference. Great meal!!!

WOW, Robert!! Simply amazing looking meal. We all really love scalloped potatoes and stuffed mushrooms around here, excellent!!
To my surprise, Tracy at 3 of the eggs and she's not a fan...Honestly though, the star of the show was the scalloped potatoes. Far and again the best any of us have ever had. This is another one that Tracy is really not a fan of but she tore these things up
My wife keeps reminding me that our taste buds change every 7 years or so. For ever and ever she would not touch oysters and now she loves them cooked any way so maybe Tracy's taste buds are changing. Now maybe you can get her to eat more seafood...:emoji_wink:
See everybody soon because there is a prime rib feast going on this weekend
My wife's birthday is Thursday and I'm having the crowd here this weekend to celebrate. The plan for me is prime rib, also. Can't wait to see what you do...

Did this dinner the first weekend after we got home from out trip to TN...and still reeling from the abysmal food we had while on the road. Two of our very best friends we'd not seen for a long time due to several things that came up. Decided to extend an invite, which was graciously accepted. Gave them several options for dinner and they chose what I thought they would: NY Strip steaks, which are their absolute favorite of all the steaks. Thought it might be a good time to pull out the stops and do a really nice dinner.

The steaks. Three really nice CPB Strips
View attachment 644015

Rubbed with a bit of Worcestershire sauce then a nice sprinkle of black pepper and garlic powder. Also a bone for Bianca.
View attachment 644016

Now to the "kinda surf" part: crab stuffed mushrooms. Clean out the caps and get them ready. Only a couple of us will be eating these so didn't need to do a bunch.
View attachment 644017

Mix up a hybrid batch of crab filling I came up with reading recipes on the Internet and stuff the caps. This is a first for me.
View attachment 644018

Now to a batch of 5-cheese scalloped potatoes. Taters, onions, cheddar, Romano, Parmesan, and pepper jack cheeses.
View attachment 644019

Repeat until the casserole dish is full and pile on some mozz (the 5th cheese) and a sprinkle of black pepper. Add a nice drizzle of milk and it's ready to cook.
View attachment 644020

Appetizer platter with 4 different cheeses
View attachment 644021

Another first. I finally got good info from our friend Bearcarver Bearcarver on how to get perfect hard boiled eggs so did some and made Deviled Eggs. Man these were good!! Bear, please notice that there is an even number of eggs here :emoji_wink:
View attachment 644022

Appetizer spread
View attachment 644023

Steaks on the Rec Tec. Plan was to run them on low temp / extreme smoke to an IT of 115, pull, cool, and sear to finish.
View attachment 644024

Since I was doing a nice dinner, Tracy got all sorts of fancy on us. A bit early for Fall deco, but who am I to argue?
View attachment 644025

Last time I did scalloped taters I didn't get them fully cooked and they were a it crunchy. Not making that mistake again so these go on early
View attachment 644026

Mushrooms on the grill with some butter in the skillet.
View attachment 644027

The steaks when they hit 115. At this point I called an audible. The color on these things is amazing so decided to just run them low and slow till an IT of 128 and forego the sear.
View attachment 644028

Rick and Susan brought a peach cobbler. Takes 90 minutes to cook so it's in the oven.
View attachment 644029

The entire dinner spread. They also brought a really nice salad.
View attachment 644030

You've already seen the taters but here's the 'shrooms
View attachment 644031

The salad
View attachment 644032

And the steaks. The color on these things is incredible!!
View attachment 644033

My dinner plate
View attachment 644034

Sliced shot of the steak. I'd say I about hit the mark with these.
View attachment 644035

And of course a close up shot of the steak.
View attachment 644036

Cobbler all done.
View attachment 644037

And served with French Vanilla ice cream.
View attachment 644038

Wow...this was a great dinner. The mushrooms were a huge hit and all were eaten, as well as the deviled eggs. To my surprise, Tracy at 3 of the eggs and she's not a fan. The steaks were simply off the charts. Nice light smokey flavor, perfectly cooked, super tender and juicy. Honestly though, the star of the show was the scalloped potatoes. Far and again the best any of us have ever had. This is another one that Tracy is really not a fan of but she tore these things up. At the end of the day there were only a few steak scraps left from the ladies. All the taters, mushrooms, and deviled eggs were history. I don't know how we managed dessert but something about fresh peach cobbler and really good ice cream is impossible to pass up :emoji_wink: Sure is nice to be home, have friends like R & S, and the availability to put together a dinner like this. It was outstanding and one for the record books.

Well, once again I warned y'all it was a long one but thanks for sticking with me....assuming you made it all the way through :emoji_laughing: Gonna call it a wrap. See everybody soon because there is a prime rib feast going on this weekend that clifish clifish said he was gonna attend :emoji_blush: I guess we'll see about that....

Robert
Fortunate guests, you had......... bravo!

Knocked it out of the park again Robert! Those potatoes sound amazing, the steaks look perfectly cooked and the mushrooms and deviled eggs are a very nice touch. I'm a sucker for cobbler too and that looks fantastic. An all around wonderful looking meal!

-Tyler

Robert, before I read your full write up, I was going to say....yea yea the steaks look good but that bowl of spud.....those looked amazing. I do like the simply smoked to temp steaks....very prime ribish like! The whole meal was perfect for my tastes!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky