Upgrade from Egg... insulated Cabinet / Vertical?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Livin

Original poster
Jan 8, 2022
I have ~100 smokes on my Chargiller Akorn w/ FlameBoss 300. I love the set-n-forget ability of the combo and the Akorn's insulation which helps in colder Colorado weather. Also, I can do a 12+ hr cook on $1 worth of lump (I always add in some flavoring wood too).

I'm looking to upgrade to increase usable space, Akorn is only 450 sqin and I'd like ~1000, and I'm not really interested the large ceramics (BGE, Primo, etc).

I'm find spending around $1k on something good. It must be set-n-forget like I have with the Akorn+FB300 combo. I'll just put the FB300 on whatever I move to.

What do you all suggest?

Maybe something like these? ...

Backwoods Chubby 3400 Vertical Charcoal Smoker

Old Country BBQ Pits Insulated Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker

Titan Reverse Flow Vertical

Big Wood Smoker Heavy Duty

Last edited:
I upgraded from a pellet pooper to the 1050 and immediately upped my flavor game. Everyone seems to like reqteq, but I thought those were too pricey. I love my 1050 though and wouldn't question purchasing another one. It's nice you can combine wood and charcoal, and to top it off its a good looking rig on my back deck

I'm not familiar with any of the four you linked but it doesn't look like they have a PID controller, so the 1050 should be more set it and forget it than the four you linked unless you mod it like you have with the Akorn.

You could look at the Chargriller 980 as well. Same idea as the MB1050 but different layout and a little less cook surface.

Maybe not many people here must have higher-end "home" units?

I'm leaning to spending the $ on an insulated Cabinet style vertical ($900-$1300). The eggs are essentially vertical smokers. Getting a cabinet style should be worth the extra $ up front to get better quality build and save $ on fuel in the long run... and be able to smoke in cooler and windy situations

Maybe not many people here must have higher-end "home" units?

I'm leaning to spending the $ on an insulated Cabinet style vertical ($900-$1300). The eggs are essentially vertical smokers. Getting a cabinet style should be worth the extra $ up front to get better quality build and save $ on fuel in the long run... and be able to smoke in cooler and windy situations
You will definitely find more people here with mass market smokers than high end smokers. There are just a lot more of them out there, and you can put out some damned good Q on a $300 mass market smoker.

But the $900-$1,300 range isn't really a higher end price point - it's kind of a weird no man's land that is above most (but not all) of the price points for mass market smokers but below the high-end stuff. Plenty of folks here do have higher end home units, but many of those that are going to spend that kind of coin opt for a "traditional" stick burner from one of the higher end manufacturers e.g. Lang - but then you are talking about $4k and up.

Hopefully someone with a cabinet style smoker will chime in. I don't know how many of them are out there.

For a little more. I have the Lone Star Grillz insulated cabinet large model. Add a FireBoard controller and a Pit Bull fan and in is mostly hands free. I really like this beast top quality build and Chris is great to work with.
Here is there PeeWee model which has about 1100si

Reactions: mcokevin
For a little more. I have the Lone Star Grillz insulated cabinet large model. Add a FireBoard controller and a Pit Bull fan and in is mostly hands free. I really like this beast top quality build and Chris is great to work with.
Here is there PeeWee model which has about 1100si
While nice, the PeeWee LSG is $1000 more than several other similar sized competition units from Backwoods and others

I'm sure the quality is there for people who do competitions but I'm not doing that. Plus, the PeeWee doesn't have a separate door for the fire box. Not sure how much difference it makes but the others all have separate doors. Seems like a useful feature.

Reactions: ofelles
While nice, the PeeWee LSG is $1000 more than several other similar sized competition units from Backwoods and others

I'm sure the quality is there for people who do competitions but I'm not doing that. Plus, the PeeWee doesn't have a separate door for the fire box. Not sure how much difference it makes but the others all have separate doors. Seems like a useful feature.

A single door is less than desirable. You would have to move to the Mini to get 2 doors. I have never had to tend the fire in mine once started. But we each have to look at our comfort level $ wise. I am of the opinion "Buy once cry once." Backwoods are great units that put out very good food.

A brand to maybe consider. Humphreys. Alot of sizes and a wide range of prices. I've been looking at them for a couple months now.

I vote for the Titan Reverse Flow with your fan controller... insulated, cabinet, in price range ...
Seems like it meets all the requirements ..

If you're looking for something that operates and produces the same results as the Akorn with more capacity, you're on the right track. Pretty much any reputable IVC will do what you want. You're just looking for price vs capacity at this point. Ignore recommendations for gravity feed cookers. Different beast entirely. The Akorn is essentially an IVC and your flameboss will work well with any model you choose unless you go really big.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky