Update Today: Mention Another User with the @ Symbol

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
We are getting an update later today and it's going to add a very useful tool in my opinion. Here's a writeup about it:

[h2]Your @mentions call all the users to the yard (aka @mentions)[/h2]
You've seen mentions on Twitter and Facebook.  Now you'll be able to use them on your site to your heart's content.

@mentions will automatically be triggered in the rich text editor as soon as you type an @.  When you do this, in the rich text editor, you'll see an autocompleting username drop down from which you can select a username.  

xTBA9MB.png

This will insert an @mention into your post which links to the user's profile.  

beo68oD.png

The @mention itself is a single object so if you backspace over it, the whole thing will be removed from your post.

The @mention is also available in the BB Code editor, through a new editor button, appropriately indicated by the @ symbol.  This button brings up a dialog where you can enter a username.

UznVm4S.png

In BB Code, users can also simply type the tags @ and around the username if they prefer.  On submit, this will turn into an @mention.

EZ0TAtj.png

There's another very important thing that @mentions do - they will send an immediate notification to the user being mentioned.  Woohoo!  They're a great way for users to communicate with each other and page each other in posts.  Huge engagement points.  Just imagine getting paged by a user you know.  That's an email you want to read and a post you want to respond to. Here's what the email will look like:

jFvizGJ.png

Please note: there will be options in your profile to turn this off in case you do not want to know if someone mentions you
biggrin.gif

Reactions: asfastasitgets
I'm thinking the 'disable it in your profile' doesn't work for Mods? lol

A lot seem to have aversions to being attagged, per their signature lines. lol

Or is that an 'I don't social media, so don't tag me!!!' thing?

Is this what the big update was today? Cause I clicked a thread link, got a 'We're updating' message, and had to go back to my Pinto forum! It was almost a crisis! lol (Yes, the car. I drive a Pinto, a 72 wagon to be exact. And now you know that about me. :D)

Feel free to tag me. It makes me notice stuff more quickly. :) lol

Seriously, don't @tag mods. They will get back to you according to their life's schedule. If it's really important, poke the little red flag icon (lower left corner of a post), and the mod/admin that is actually awake at that moment will get back to you as quickly as possible.

Attagging makes phones/computers sound alarms. ;)

Just an FYI..

The @mentions are just a way to let folks know when someone mentions them in a post. I think it is an excellent feature and I look forward to using it extensively.

It would not make sense, however, to use this to try and get anyone's attention for help.. we have a PM system for that as well as email.

feedback  At smokingmeatforums.com (to tell us how good we are doing.. or bad if you really must)

support  At smokingmeatforums.com (problems with the site)

jeff  At smokingmeatforums.com (to contact me directly in the event of an emergency. Note: your turkey not being done on time on TG day is not MY emergency)

I don't know about some of you, but if someone is talking about me, I seriously wanna know about it. Feel free to @mention me anytime my name comes up whether good or bad
biggrin.gif

Huh...this is too cool!!! Never thought of or heard of this before. Nice feature, Jeff!!!

Good stuff @tulsajeff - I did this using tapatalk so it did not pull down the names that I could see.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky