Up In Smoke - Taste test

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

travcoman45

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 19, 2008
A Holler in North Iowa
Wen't ta the up in smoke BBQ contest taday, met up with Eric an company an while we was a eatin low an behold we found a brother, Mark (daboys) was there to!

Lots a different types a smokers from big stumps units, huge units on trailers, Snp's, Drums, an horizontals, most of which looked ta be homemade units. I never seen a lang in the bunch!

Ate some Q, had a pulled pork sammie, was good, but weren't no better then mine an at 6 bucks I can sure make a better sammie! Had some spare ribs, again, a good rib, but needed ta cook longer, flavor was very good, 8 bucks fer 3 bones an a side a cowboy beans. Now, I can open a can an toss in some seasonin, but sure can't sell that to a customer!

The point I guess I'm tryin ta make is, we all do as well er better then these folks an they got trophies settin all over the place, some were Jack's champs an royal champs to. I know, ya can't afford ta sell comp quality stuff, but, it better be somethin that I can't get at the super store to!

Had a good day, seen lots a neat equipment an stole, er was inspired yeah that's it, with some good idears fer the concession trailer. Got to meet up with friends an even some family, warm day with a nice breeze an some good music playin ta boot!

image.png

Sounds like a good time Tip. Nice you met another member there.
Hell yeah, if these guys are making it big selling things we could make or do better at then we ought to have the SMF BBQ competition, get sponsors and make a million dollars!

Sounds to me like you had a great time. Glad to hear it.

It was a great day for strolling thru the comp. area....took me two tries, but finally found some GOOD ribs....not the same ones Tip had.

He's right, we can smoke as well or better than a fair share of the teams that were there....maybe not necessarily on the scale that they are smoking.

Maybe between now an next year we could get a group of Iowa boys together and try our hand at this smokin' comp....?

It was good to see Tip and Darcy....and Mark (daboys), too!!

L8r,
Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky