Unusually cool day so.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
First batch of cheese of the season. I did the usual of sharp cheddars, swiss, and Monterey.
But what I was really waiting for was:

P8240063.JPG

After 3.5 hours with apple.

P9040044.jpg

On the counter to rest.

P9040045.jpg

I tried the 14 year old and holy cow, pun intended, it was fantastic!

I have never made any but love smoked gouda, not sure why I haven’t but going to fix that soon, looks amazing from here Steve

I need to re visit some cheese this winter . I always get it to smokey .

Nice batch, Steve!!
Like.
It was 54° here Thurs morning, and 52° Yesterday morning.
Right now @ 10:45 AM it's still only 62° outside. Humidity 72%.

Bear

I have never made any but love smoked gouda, not sure why I haven’t but going to fix that soon, looks amazing from here Steve
Thanks Mike! Try it. It's easy. And doing it yourself you know that it real smoked cheese.

How long do you smoke it for?

Nice batch, Steve!!
Like.
It was 54° here Thurs morning, and 52° Yesterday morning.
Right now @ 10:45 AM it's still only 62° outside. Humidity 72%.

Bear
Thanks!

Nice project on a cool morning Steve! I still have a block of pepper jack and cheddar in the fridge I did last Xmas, I'll do more when Xmas rolls around this year, too hot here until then. RAY

Reactions: Steve H
Nice project on a cool morning Steve! I still have a block of pepper jack and cheddar in the fridge I did last Xmas, I'll do more when Xmas rolls around this year, too hot here until then. RAY

This was early for me. But I'm glad for the cool day!

Question on the River Rat Brand, Steve. Would you consider their texture creamy or a bit harder i.e. somewhat crumbly? Also, in regards to bite. Many many years ago my father use to buy large rounds of White NY Cheddar. I loved it so much because the cheddar would bite you back as you consumed it. Haven't been able to locate anything close to it now days. How would you describe the flavor of the 8 & 14 year old cheddars?

I can’t go 4 hours on cheese. About 1 to 2 1/2 hour and we are happy with apple smoke. Might could go longer with something like alder, just haven’t tried it.

Question on the River Rat Brand, Steve. Would you consider their texture creamy or a bit harder i.e. somewhat crumbly? Also, in regards to bite. Many many years ago my father use to buy large rounds of White NY Cheddar. I loved it so much because the cheddar would bite you back as you consumed it. Haven't been able to locate anything close to it now days. How would you describe the flavor of the 8 & 14 year old cheddars?

Their cheese is very smooth. When cooled it slices fine. Slice when cool. Then let it reach room temp. And the 8 and 14 year cheese is incredible. Smooth with crystals from aging. You'll appreciate it right away if you've had cheese this aged. Those crystals say howdy the moment you bite into it. There is no way to describe cheese like this. The 8 year cheese is really good. But the 14 year? Beyond words. Some years ago there was a stand not far from here that sold Hell of a good cheese. Their seriously sharp white cheddar was amazing.

That was it! Couldn't remember the name and Dad is no longer with us. Yup. 'Hell of a Good' cheddar. So you think the 14 yr one comes close to this?

That was it! Couldn't remember the name and Dad is no longer with us. Yup. 'Hell of a Good' cheddar. So you think the 14 yr one comes close to this?

Hell of a good is much sharper then the river rat cheese I bought. This cheese wasn't meant to be that sharp. They do have some really sharp cheese. though. The 14 year old cheese is amazing stuff. But I haven't had any cheese that can match the Hell of a good seriously sharp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky