Unbelievable Tri Tip!! W/ qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tri-tip is a personal favorite of mine as well. If you can find the Morton's of Omaha marinaded tri-tip roasts at Costco I would highly recommend them. I did a graduation party this past June and did tri-tip and prime rib, and was shocked when the tri-tip flew off the cutting board before the prime. Looks awesome!

Every thing looks very good except for one thing. I am not here to be over critical---I am here to help you serve the absoulute best tri-tip that is possible.

My background is over 20 years of catering in California, and I am very familiar with tri-tip. I have grilled it, smoked it, deep fried it, dutch oven cooked it and cooked it on a pitch fork for "Cowboy Fondue"

Anyone cooking tri-tip can spend hours trimming, rubbing, marinating, and cooking it to perfection in every manner-----and then slip up on the easiest thing. That easy thing is carving the tri -tip.

The goal in cutting tri-tip to make it the most tender---is to have the shortest strands of meat grain in yourfinal slices. This is done by cutting EXACTLY 90 degrees perpendicular to the grain. The tri tip is shaped like a boomerang with a point and two wings. ALL tri tips have vey pronounced grains. Look at the grain and start cutting the tri tip perpendicular to the grain---that means you will start cutting at the point of the tri tip. DO NOT start cutting at either of the 2 wings. Try this yourself---see which is more tender---do not beleive me---I am just an old surviving BBQer.
Try it and you can thank me later. Good Luck------You have a far better chance than me---because you have a better start. Keep on cookin

Hey, Chuck... I am always open for advice. I am new to this game and welcome all the advice i can get!!! So, if i start at the point (which i thought i was, just the wrong point) that will leave me with some very large, but thin slices of tri. Is that right? I know enough to know that your supposed to cut against the grain, and admit that it has been frustrating for me, cause again.. i thought i was starting at the right end. But when i have been starting on the end of the wing, i did notice i was cutting it at about a 45 to the grain and not 90. I also noticed that if i did cut it at a 90, i would end up with some rather large pieces. Is that right? Thank you again for any advice you may have. Again, I am new to all of this, and really want to refine my technique. Thanks!!

Here is how i carve mine. It's easier if you cut it into two pieces, and then slice against the grain. I have attached a picture of how i do it, but others here may have better methods. Hope this helps!
fa9982e7_vbattach23310.jpg

Thank you for the diagram Ciolli! I appreciate it! I was starting at the tip to the right in your diagram, but as you can see, the further i progressed, i was getting off of perpendicular. I smoke tri's alot and will use this method next time i do. Once again, Thanks!!

Outstanding! very nice penetration on the smoke...if we only had one of those Star Trek transporters...anyone working on that??!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky