Umai Salami and Spanish Chorizo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluebombersfan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 4, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
I started both of these on the weekend. I put out a call for help as the instructions from Umai did not include a recommended meat to fat ratio or an a mount of bactoferm. I did get some great advice from some folks that have made these before. I started with lean cuts of pork and beef.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I coarse ground both of these, then for fat I looked around everywhere for back fat but could not find any. The best thing I could find for fat was uncured pork belly. I grabbed the fattiest ones I could find and ground those. For the Chorizo I used all pork with about 3/4 lbs of the fatty belly, I also added 1 tsp. of crushed chilli as another member recommended the seasoning was a little flat. For the Salami I mixed half pork half beef and the same 3/4 lbs of fat.

5.jpg

Stuffed them, weighed them and hung them in a mini fridge to ferment. Now all that's left is the long wait! Thanks for looking!

Awesome thing about this forum you need help you ask and you will get help. There are some great sausage helpers on here. Waiting the results.

Warren

BBF, Looking good, I always trim the back fat off pork butts when making sausge or PP. I freeze it up in one pound packages as Umai usually calls for 1 pound of fat for a 5 pound batch of salami. You are fermenting for about 3 days and then headed to the fridge with your product ??

Last edited:
BBF, Looking good, I always trim the back fat off pork butts when making sausge or PP. I freeze it up in one pound packages as Umai usually calls for 1 poind of fat for a 5 pound batch of salami. You are fermenting for about 3 days and then headed to the fridge with your product ??

Great idea for freezing the fat! I have never had a problem with getting some fresh from the butcher. Not sure why the shortage this time around! Yes, I hung in an unplugged mini fridge for three days to ferment and then move on to my fridge.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky