UMAi pepperoni 2.0

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 28, 2013
Eastern PA
Decided to have another go at making some pepperoni with the Umai stuff. Made a half batch of the Umai recipe. Hopefully with better results this time.

After 24 hours of fermenting at room temp.

You should have some great pepperoni when it done..... Doesn't look like you made enough for sample ???? Too bad....

By sample, I meant enough to send to your taste testers..... I thought I was on the list .....
biggrin.gif
You are on the list, but it's pick up only.
biggrin.gif

Update. According to the Umai tutorial, these should turn bright red when fermented. I'm a little concerned because after 48 hours there are just some blotches of red on them. I will give them another day of fermenting before I decide if I will pitch them.

IDK, according to Umai they're supposed to. They are starting to get red, but not very evenly.

I had that initial worry actually on my first batch of soppressatta. There were a few extra pink spots other than the rest. I'd say as long as you add the right ingredients and amounts you're good. Only you can make that call. If it don't take up lots of space, I'd still let them roll regardless. Not like you'd be losing anything.

They're looking better this morning. I'll put them in the fridge and wait for them to dry.

Update. After a week, the pepperoni has lost around 25% weight. They are still relatively soft which is probably good as they're not getting case hardened. Hopefully another week or so will get them to 35% or so.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky