• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

UMAi pepperoni 2.0

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 28, 2013
Decided to have another go at making some pepperoni with the Umai stuff. Made a half batch of the Umai recipe. Hopefully with better results this time.

After 24 hours of fermenting at room temp.

daveomak

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Are you using a fermenting culture and cure #2 ????

Last edited:

daveomak

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
You should have some great pepperoni when it done..... Doesn't look like you made enough for sample ???? Too bad....

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 28, 2013
You should have some great pepperoni when it done..... Doesn't look like you made enough for sample ???? Too bad....
Actually, a sample is what I made. We will see if it turns out right this time.

daveomak

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
By sample, I meant enough to send to your taste testers..... I thought I was on the list ..... :biggrin:

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 28, 2013
Update. According to the Umai tutorial, these should turn bright red when fermented. I'm a little concerned because after 48 hours there are just some blotches of red on them. I will give them another day of fermenting before I decide if I will pitch them.

rgautheir20420

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 11, 2014
They aren't going to turn bright red because of the paprika in the recipe. Don't throw them away prematurely. If the recipe was followed, then they should be fine.

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 28, 2013
IDK, according to Umai they're supposed to. They are starting to get red, but not very evenly.

rgautheir20420

Master of the Pit
Joined Jun 11, 2014
I had that initial worry actually on my first batch of soppressatta. There were a few extra pink spots other than the rest. I'd say as long as you add the right ingredients and amounts you're good. Only you can make that call. If it don't take up lots of space, I'd still let them roll regardless. Not like you'd be losing anything.

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 28, 2013
They're looking better this morning. I'll put them in the fridge and wait for them to dry.

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 28, 2013
Thanks, Rickey. They smell pretty awesome, too. Fingers crossed.

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 28, 2013
Update. After a week, the pepperoni has lost around 25% weight. They are still relatively soft which is probably good as they're not getting case hardened. Hopefully another week or so will get them to 35% or so.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks