• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

UDS vent size

trailmonkey

Joined Jan 13, 2019
I have built around 7 UDS builds over the last 10 years, several for myself and a few for friends. I know what works but I have a question about a new idea for a build. I started out with the typical build (4 intakes 3/4" in size). I then built a full size UDS using a couple 1" ball valves with the 90 degree elbow and an upright stack. It worked but I felt like the air intake was a little restricted. The last several I have made used stainless sliding draft doors and that's enough intake and THEN some. I have fallen in love with my mini UDS which started out as a 55 gallon drum that I shortened so that it doubles as a grill also. It has 2 sliding draft doors which is overkill. one door at 1/8 open can maintain 250-275 degrees. I am in the mood to make another shortened drum that's a hair taller than my current one to allow for taller meats like turkey and spiral cut hams. With this new build I am yearning for a steam punk design. I have a 1 1/4" ball valve and a 4" brass extension pipe with a brass 90 degree elbow. My past experience with a set up like this (only using 1" valves, elbows and pipes on a full size drum) was that the upright and the 90 degree elbow restricted airflow. Can anyone shed some knowledge for me if 1 of these 1 1/4" valves on a 90 elbows with a shortened 55 gallon drum will be enough intake for 350+ degrees or should I put 2 or more in? This is a thought for a spring project BTW as I don't even have a drum yet or the gumption to start till late spring.

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
Well I run 3x 3/4 which is enough to run my full size at over 600 degrees if I leave them all open long enough.

Your air inlet would be 55% the size of mine, but you'd be running a smaller unit. Without doing the match I would think it would handle it. Maybe would depend on the size of your coal basket and initial number of hot coals that were added to it.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.