UDS temp issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

murdermode

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Decatur, IL
Built me a UDS and well I cannot keep it below 255. I have the ball valve BARELY open, I mean like an 1/8th inch gap. I also have the exhaust in my Weber grill top almost all the way closed. If I do anymore than what I have now I won't have any flow. Luckily I'm not actually smoking anything just seeing if I can keep the temps and it seems I can't.

How much charcoal are you lighting to start with? I fill my basket up except for a small hollow spot for the lit coals. Then light about 12-15 briquettes to dump on top of the unlit coals.

What kind of charcoal are you using.? I have found that lump will like to run hotter in my uds. I normally use kingsford and light about 8 or 10 briquettes and let her build up to 225. If it's cold outside I will light more. I did a early morning smoke on thanksgiving. It was 9 degrees outside. I ended up lighting about 30 briquettes up. It ran at 275 for 8 hours. I didn't think it would stay that hot. Everything got done way early. Better than late. I would suggest lighting fewer like stokensmoke recommended
Jason

Thanks for the reply guys. I finally just closed everything on it until the temp dropped and and then opened the ball valve back up a tiny bit at a time until I got it where I wanted it. I think my issue was that I got it too hot to begin with so it just stayed hot. I lit about half my chimney full of charcoal and dumped it in there. I'll probably go with a bit less when I actually smoke something and let it build itself back up to temp instead of starting so hot.

I always leave the exhaust most of the way open. With the exhaust shut down you're just trapping heat in there. Temps should only be controlled with the intake. I can run 250 all day with just a finger width on a round intake cover.

Yeah once I thought about it I realized the top exhaust only regulates flow and not temps so I just opened it all the way and only started messing with the intake.

Yeah once I thought about it I realized the top exhaust only regulates flow and not temps so I just opened it all the way and only started messing with the intake.
You've got it now....   BTW, how tightly sealed is the top on the UDS...  it should be air tight to eliminate air infiltration....  You want the exhaust going out the designated exhaust ports.. not the lid.....

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky