UDS build and questions!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jtcannonball

Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Ok I have my barrel with all holes drilled and I'm ready to go to the next step. My barrel is a food grade barrel that had olive oil in it. My question is do I need to sand/wire wheel it out or just a good burn? I also scored an entire Weber 22.5" grill for 5 dollars so I'll have the lid, cooking surface and the bottom for my basket. I would love any suggestions!

jtcannonball

Well I guess I have more work to do because it's all red inside. Unless that's not exactly the same as a red lined barrel. What's the best way a wire wheel or angle grinder?

I burn mine all day . As hot as I could get it. Most of the red liner burn off. The rest I used a wire wheel.

Well after a good 8-9 hour burn the liner stared me back in the eyes! Anybody use wire wheels with a cordless drill or do I need an angle grinder?

jt, morning....   If it were mine, after 8-9 hour burn, and it is still there, personally I would call it good... a charcoal fire in a basket will not get as hot as a fire....  Anything volatile will have distilled from the coating.....   A pass or three from the wire wheel will loosen and remove any loose material that is left that could fall in the food....  Check to see if the coating is powdery at all..... Remove the powder, coat the barrel with veggie oil/crisco/peanut oil and fire it up and run at 400deg or so to cure the oil and seal what is there.... You can do this several times to insure a good coating on what is left...    Dave

Howdy,

I did a burn out on mine and then tried a wire wheel on a cordless drill. This was working great but cut into my "Beer Time".

Any how I decided to work smarter and not harder and got one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

Worked like a charm.

Don't forget to take some pic of your build..Good luck and always remember to have fun.
I was going to go the grinder route but I never thought about a propane torch.  Will that affect the structural integrity of the barrel getting it that hot?  How much does a 20lb tank of propane cost?  I've only used charcoal Weber grills so I have never purchased a propane tank before.  I looked online but the costs seem all over the place.  I'm still thinking of just grinding it out this week.

I have pics of the burn, and I'll be taking more soon.

Thanks for the help.

jt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky