Tx Smoker's Garlic & Herb Infused EVOO and Hot Pepper Vinegar w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
So tx smoker tx smoker Robert and I have been discussing his recipe and practices for the garlic and herb infused olive oil and his pepper vinegar recipe here recently and this seemed to me like it would make the perfect Christmas presents. He was gracious enough to send me a couple bottles that he had made and I was hooked.

Last year I gave away home cured/smoked bacon and smoked cheese but this year I wanted to do something a little different. I have a pretty large extended family and buying gifts for 30+ people gets a little pricey if you know what I mean. By the time you give something to your kids teachers, church folk, boss's, extended family, the post man, the garbage man, etc...you are broke!

This is priced sensibly and incredibly easy to make so I encourage anyone who make be looking for a cost efficient last minute gift for friends and family to give it a try! Or hell if you just want an incredibly delicious EVOO and a pepper vinegar that's a good reason too. I am keeping some for myself as well!

His main post and step by step is riding on the carousel so if you want more precise directions check out his post!

Started out with 1/2 a cup of minced garlic and a cheese cloth ball full of his spice mix from Costco.
oil1.jpg

Added it into 3 quarts of extra virgin olive oil and got the heat rolling.
oil2.jpg

Checked the temperature on several different occasions with two different thermometers. As he mentioned you must keep the oil at at least 250 for a minimum of 3 minutes.
oil3.jpg

oil4.jpg

oil5.jpg

While the oil was cooling down I got the peppers ready. I used dried Arbol's in mine and inserted 4-5 in each bottle after I removed all the seeds. Didn't take any pictures of the vinegar in the pot figured everyone had seen that before. Equal parts white distilled vinegar and apple cider vinegar.
oil6.jpg

Here is the oil after I let it cool down for a couple hours.
oil7.jpg

Removed the cheesecloth ball of spices.
oil8.jpg

Here is what I ended up with after I funneled it all into bottles. I used 5oz hot sauce bottles I bought off of amazon.
oil9.jpg

And the finished product. Heat gunned on the decorative top(first time...screwed a couple up) and had my wife write some labels.
oil10.jpg

This stuff is so good and easy to make. If anyone is on the fence about trying it out I would highly recommend to try it out! Thanks for looking and thanks to tx smoker tx smoker for all the help and advice!

John

Attachments

• oil7.jpg
    oil7.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 13
  • oil8.jpg
    oil8.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 14
Nice gifts John, your recipients will be very happy. I like the labels, I didn’t think they were hand written until you mentioned it. My wife writes out stuff for me too...mines pure chicken scratch.

Awesome! Like!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
John that looks great and very nice of you to share with the family.Nothing beats home made your heart is a part of it. Points
Richie

John, wow....I mean seriously my friend, just WOW!! As much as I appreciate the accolades, those all belong to daveomak daveomak and chef jimmyj chef jimmyj They provided all of the info necessary to do this safely. You sir have done a magnificent job!! Looks like you followed the procedure to a T and have turned out some fantastic (and safe) gifts that you can be proud to share with friends and family. I will say this however, in this forum there is no honor higher than having somebody inspired by something you've posted and they make it themselves. You sir are the personification of all the things I love about this forum and I'm humbled beyond belief that you've taken what I posted and done an absolutely amazing job with it. Once again though, if not for Dave and Jimmy, this would have never happened, at least not in my world.

Great job my friend and a big LIKE!!
Robert

John great looking bottles and amazing gifts. I was fortunate enough to try Roberts as well. So delcious! I have making these on my growing to do list.

Great work. The bottles are Beautiful. A store bought bottle of infused oil is $20, but Handmade Oil as a gift...Priceless...JJ

Nice gifts John, your recipients will be very happy. I like the labels, I didn’t think they were hand written until you mentioned it. My wife writes out stuff for me too...mines pure chicken scratch.

Awesome! Like!

Thanks Joe! Got 100 of those chalk labels off amazon for like $4.99. Yeah my handwriting is pure chicken scratch too that exactly why I had my wife write them lol.

John, wow....I mean seriously my friend, just WOW!! As much as I appreciate the accolades, those all belong to daveomak daveomak and chef jimmyj chef jimmyj They provided all of the info necessary to do this safely. You sir have done a magnificent job!! Looks like you followed the procedure to a T and have turned out some fantastic (and safe) gifts that you can be proud to share with friends and family. I will say this however, in this forum there is no honor higher than having somebody inspired by something you've posted and they make it themselves. You sir are the personification of all the things I love about this forum and I'm humbled beyond belief that you've taken what I posted and done an absolutely amazing job with it. Once again though, if not for Dave and Jimmy, this would have never happened, at least not in my world.

Great job my friend and a big LIKE!!
Robert

Thanks Robert and again thanks for all the help! Glad Jimmy and Dave were around to make sure we did this safely! Wonderful idea on your part and props to you for keeping to it until you got it right!

John great looking bottles and amazing gifts. I was fortunate enough to try Roberts as well. So delcious! I have making these on my growing to do list.

Thanks Jcam! I knew once I tried his stuff I had to do it. Tastes like a $20 bottle of EVOO for a fraction of the price!

Awesome!
You didn't take long to figure that out!
I love the bottle labels, & as JJ says, what a great gift for Christmas!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky