Two Weeks is a LOOOONG Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnh12

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
NE Florida
Finally the wait is over.
The bellies cured for two weeks in Pop's brine and in the smoker this morning.
First time for both a wet brine and cold smoke. Also first time for the A-Maze-N Pellet 5x8 tray with their Pitmaster's Choice blend.
The Lang 60D is set with the main chamber baffle closed and the warmer vents and flu's open. The pellet tray is in the firebox and the bellies are hanging in the warmer.
Looks like some good smoke coming out of the warmer vents.
OAT was 50* this morning at 0700 and predicted to get to the low 70's by mid-afternoon. Current warmer box temp is 55* so I may have to add some frozen jugs if it get too high.
20171126_070430.jpg
20171126_070454.jpg

Reactions: griz400
Skin on.
I did the test fry after the rinse and left the skin on for the smoke because the wife said the chewy skin was good.
I follow orders....Sometimes.

Just finished slicing the final 3 lbs of by bellies.. same as you two weeks in pops and some cherry pellets in my tube.
You get point for some fine looking bacon coming

Attachments

• E2259CF4-F284-44DB-B811-E49E10B56DC4.jpeg
    E2259CF4-F284-44DB-B811-E49E10B56DC4.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 64
Pulled off the smoker at about 6 1/2 hours. Not much color but it sure smells smokey!
The AMPS used all but a half of the last row. No way it would have lasted the 12+ hours advertised.
20171126_132900.jpg
20171126_132848.jpg

20171126_132913.jpg

Here's my final report for the batch I just made.
The test fry sample was very good. Not too salty and maybe a bit on the sweet side. I guess I can cut back a bit on the brown sugar to fix that.
After about 6+ hours of cold smoking it sat uncovered in the refrigerator for several days.
I finally had a chance to cook some up today for breakfast and was surprised at the saltiness. It seemed much more salty than the test fry piece. The test fry was from an end so it should have been a bit more salty than the middle pieces that I fried up today.
FWIW I also didn't much care for the cold smoke process. I'll probably go back to the hot smoke for the next batch. The wife also changed her mind (imagine that!) about leaving the skin on. I'll pull the skin after the next hot smoke since it comes easier than before the cure process.
All isn't lost. I have a venison hind quarter in the freezer that'll probably do well if wrapped in some salty and sweet bacon.
So in closing, the next batch will be Pop's low salt brine but cut down a bit on the brown sugar, then hot smoke using some cherry wood I have stored.

It's a real shame your bacion didn't come out the way you hoped for. The good news is there's always a use for bacon--even if it is a bit too sweet and salty. You'll just have to watch the amiunt of salt in your rub when you use this to bacon wrap the venison. Should be real tasty.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky