Two Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stonebriar

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Question #1:

Rather than ordering online, where could I find Provencal Herbs (Herbes de Provence) locally in a typical metro area, i.e. Grocery, Whole Foods, etc.?

Question #2:

If smoking chicken thighs marinated in Mr. Yoshidas, as many have done here, should you purchase the thighs skinless or with skin?

Thank you,

Steve

Why not make your own? I've tried a mix of thyme, basil, rosemary and savory and enjoyed it. If you do a google search for Herbes de Provence   you get all kinds of variations to the spice mix. use them as a guide and use the spices you like.

Sorry i can't help ya with the chicken.

We have a natural foods store here (Vitamin Cottage) that carries all sorts of fresh herbs.  They were just stocking the shelves a few days ago and I noticed they had herbs de provence. 

Dan is right. You can make your own very easily. If not most large grocery chains carry it in the same section as the other spices

Chicken needs the skin on to keep it from drying out IMHO

Good luck

I leave the skin on. If your not smoking at a temp high enough to crisp it up..... put it on a hot hot grill for a few minutes or set them under a broiler for a minute or so. Rubbery chicken skin is not something I like to eat... but I love it all crisped up.

Spice Islands brand has an Herbes de Provence, but not all grocery stores stock the same spices. Even though it's mass produced, it certainly does the job. Like many food things, there's no formula set in stone. Thyme, savory, marjoram, rosemary and lavender seem to be the most common denominators, with some people also adding fennel or sage.  For me, the lavender and rosemary are what set it apart from just another spice mix.  There are some Kroger brand stores in our area with the nice, bulk spices and sometimes you can find it there, at the least you can find the components (without Whole Food prices)>

On the Ingredients label of my Herbes de Provence it lists:thyme, fennel, basil, savory, and lavender.  A side note for TheBarbeQueen:  Have you checked to see if you have a Cash 'n Carry in your area of Renton and those other towns surrounding you?  My local Cash 'n Carry has an excellent selection of larger quantities of spices, herbs and the such.  The prices are much more reasonable than some of our high-end grocery chains, such as Haggens/Top Foods or Freddies.

icon_cool.gif

I'm with Dan on this one too. I would just make my own provence all it is a bunch of different spices thown together. Now as far as the skin on chicken I always buy it with the skin on for me it's the best part most of the time.

Quote:
On the Ingredients label of my Herbes de Provence it lists:thyme, fennel, basil, savory, and lavender.  A side note for TheBarbeQueen:  Have you checked to see if you have a Cash 'n Carry in your area of Renton and those other towns surrounding you?  My local Cash 'n Carry has an excellent selection of larger quantities of spices, herbs and the such.  The prices are much more reasonable than some of our high-end grocery chains, such as Haggens/Top Foods or Freddies.
Thanks for the reminder - we do have one nearby and I love it.  If anybody has one of these stores handy and you haven't checked it out, you should!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky