Turn temp down?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

philipc

Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
Uk
Hi, I have a pancetta just nearly a week into aging. The temperature is around 51 degrees fahrenheit, 80%rh. However I want to dry age some pork loin for just a couple of days. Do you think it’ll be okay to turn the temp down to around 37 (keeping the rh at 80)?

Thanks .

Your best source for info about this might be indaswamp indaswamp He has REALLY upped his curing game the past couple years and will hopefully chime in. Most of what he does is sausage but the concept of curing meat might apply. There are others here with great knowledge also but Keith is the first one that comes to mind.

Robert

Reactions: TNJAKE and philipc
Thanks for the mention txsmoker. I'm not an expert, but understand the science fairly well.

philipc philipc ; if you lower the temp. to 37*F; 80%RH, this will slow drying down significantly and you may get case hardening. But, if the pancetta still has the skin in, then it MAY be ok. But I would still be concerned with the ends. If you decide to go ahead with this plan, I'd watch those ends like a hawk...

Reactions: chopsaw
I don't normally get involved in these threads , but at 37 degrees for a couple days , why not the fridge ?

Humidity...too low in a regular fridge.
Yeah , I figured that . I dry stuff that has been smoked then wrapped in pink paper . Held at 36 degrees . I know he has a raw product .
Just seems for a couple days you could come up with something . I used cheese cloth soaked in salt water , wrung out and wrapped around a cured and fully cooked loin one time . Into a plastic bag . Held in the fridge .
I don't know . Just thinking out loud . Like I said , I normally don't get involved in these . Just curious .

Reactions: indaswamp
If you just have to lower the temp for a couple days dry age (won’t make much difference to the loins) then I would wrap the pancetta in collagen sheet For those couple days. Or better yet, wrap the pork loin in collagen sheets and age in the fridge. Leave the pancetta to do its thing.

Reactions: indaswamp
I have to get my eyes checked because I thought you wrote “I have a placenta nearly a week into aging” and I thought, well, I’ve never seen that smoked on this site before. Haha!

Thanks all, I’ve already wrapped the pancetta (not a placenta 🤢) in collagen so hopefully that will protect it for the few days.

I’d already done it so don’t want to keep
mucking about with it, but would definitely go with your suggestion in the future SmokingEdge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky