Turkey Thawing Reminder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Tis the season so here is your reminder on thawing times.

thawing.png

Be safe and enjoy.

Brian

So....let's say someone thaws a turkey, puts it in a brine where the average temp of their garage is currently 45 degrees. When the turkey is checked to rinse off the brine, the turkey is at 57 degrees (it was a warmer day than normal). Do you throw it away, or is it safe to still smoke and eat?

I've got a 24#'er in the beer fridge now... I'm trying to get the temperature adjusted down to 34 degrees so it will thaw slowly... I don't need it thawed for 10 more days... the 20th...

Reactions: bdskelly
So....let's say someone thaws a turkey, puts it in a brine where the average temp of their garage is currently 45 degrees. When the turkey is checked to rinse off the brine, the turkey is at 57 degrees (it was a warmer day than normal). Do you throw it away, or is it safe to still smoke and eat?

At the temperatures you have listed, that poses a dangerous situation for food borne illnesses, especially to children and folks with compromised immune systems... I would not do it, nor would I eat the food nor feed it to anyone...
Food, for safe human consumption, should be stored below 38 F.... Observe recommended storage times also..

Last edited:
Bump !!

I have a Coleman Xtreme 28 quart cooler. I usually buy turkey's in the 18-20 lb range and smoke 4-6 a year. If I'm not brining a turkey, I'll throw the turkey in the cooler, still in the vacuum pack, and fill the cooler with cold water......then leave it. It thaws a bird at the rate of about a pound per hour. There is always a little ice left in the cavity when I take it out. Water temp stays in the 34 degree range.

Now, that's different than a 34F fridge because it is water vs air. Heat transfer in water is 25x faster than in air, so it thaws more quickly.

Above it says in cold water allow 30 minutes per pound. What is missing is the instruction to change the water every thirty minutes. Water out of a tap is typically 55F, and it transfers heat to the bird as the water cools. The heat transfer is greater when you change the water every 30 minutes instead of just letting the bird sit in 34F water. I'm too lazy to change the water every 30 minutes, so I use my method of just letting the bird sit in cold water.

how long after brining can i keep turkey out before cooking?
i brined according to a i read then i rinse the turkeys pat dry i think but now i want skin to dry more so i planned on leaving them out for about 3 hours before putting on grill/smoker is this ok ?

Personally, 3 hours is a little long for me. Do you have a room fan you can use? I hit mine with a room fan for about an hour before spraying it with oil and adding the rub. I do the same thing for poultry, bacon, jerky, etc, although the bacon and jerky are cured.

Reactions: bmudd14474
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky