Turkey soup from carcus?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I roast them low and slow like at 250F otherwise you get burnt meat bits. I take them out when I really start to smell the roasted goodness. Time always varies.

I like to roast all my bones before making stock. It brings out alot of awesome flavors.

I will roast my bone's from now on.
icon_lol.gif

I just finished my stock project from chicken and turkey (I also added in some carrots, onion, and celery chunks for added flavor). Here's a picture. You know it's good when it is gelatinous. It takes me three days to get it like I want it and that's twice heating and cooling to remove the fat. Alot of work, but man it is soooo worth it. I'm smoking chicken tomorrow to make soup! Yummmmm.

3bdc63a4_IMG_8259.jpg

Gotta give some props on this Turkey Gumbo recipe.  The day after Thanksgiving I took the turkey carcass from the day before's smoked bird, broke up some of the leg bones to expose marrow then roasted all the bones for a few hours.  Then I made a stock out of the roasted bones.  I put the stock and enough turkey pieces in separate bags and threw them in the freezer.  Last weekend I thawed out the stock and turkey and made the gumbo eman posted below.  It came out awesome!  I made enough to be able to actually freeze some serving size containers for future consumption / enjoyment. Thanks eman for the original post.

Here is a great turkey gumbo recipe from AR.com

[h3]Ingredients[/h3]
  • 1 1/8 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 6 cups turkey stock
  • 3 1/2 cups coarsely chopped leftover turkey
  • 1 tablespoon file powder
  • 1 cup uncooked white rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/2 cup chopped green onions

[h3]Directions[/h3]
  1. Stir oil and flour together in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Cook, stirring slowly and constantly to keep the roux from burning, until the mixture becomes a dark chocolate brown, about 10 minutes. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers to the roux all at once, and continue to stir until vegetables are wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and cayenne pepper.
  2. Stir in the smoked sausage and bay leaves, and continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in the turkey stock and stir until the stock and roux mixture are well combined. Bring the gumbo to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Stir in the turkey and the file powder; simmer for 2 hours.
  3. About 30 minutes before serving, bring the rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
  4. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface of the gumbo; remove from heat. Stir in the parsley and green onions. Remove the bay leaves, and serve the gumbo in deep bowls with rice.

[h3]Footnotes[/h3]
  •  

• Editor's Note

• For the smoked sausage, andouille is a great choice, or, you can use kielbasa

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky