1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Turkey soup from carcus?

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by cripplecreek, Nov 28, 2010.

1. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I roast them low and slow like at 250F otherwise you get burnt meat bits. I take them out when I really start to smell the roasted goodness. Time always varies.

2. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Thank you Squirrel. I'll do this next time.

3. meateater

meateater Legendary Pitmaster SMF Premier Member

I will roast my bone's from now on. [​IMG]

4. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I just finished my stock project from chicken and turkey (I also added in some carrots, onion, and celery chunks for added flavor). Here's a picture. You know it's good when it is gelatinous. It takes me three days to get it like I want it and that's twice heating and cooling to remove the fat. Alot of work, but man it is soooo worth it. I'm smoking chicken tomorrow to make soup! Yummmmm.

[​IMG]

5. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Awesome, looks like apple sauce

6. Gotta give some props on this Turkey Gumbo recipe.  The day after Thanksgiving I took the turkey carcass from the day before's smoked bird, broke up some of the leg bones to expose marrow then roasted all the bones for a few hours.  Then I made a stock out of the roasted bones.  I put the stock and enough turkey pieces in separate bags and threw them in the freezer.  Last weekend I thawed out the stock and turkey and made the gumbo eman posted below.  It came out awesome!  I made enough to be able to actually freeze some serving size containers for future consumption / enjoyment. Thanks eman for the original post.