Turkey plans-expect the unexpected and adapt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did the turkey flip again this year in the oven. 20.32 lb'er from Jennie-O. The label on the Jennie-O indicates it was commercially injected with 9.5% salt and sugar solution, so no need to brine.

Once again, turned out perfectly. Juicy breast, tender cooked thighs. Tried a slightly lower temp of 325F instead of the 375F mentioned above because it was going to finish too soon and we ate a late lunch. Result? Skin didn't crisp up like the 375F version. Also, the temps were closer at the end. 166F breast, 172F thigh.

I hosted my coffee to Chef JJ. Thank you, old friend, for haunting our threads.

Did the turkey flip again this year in the oven. 20.32 lb'er from Jennie-O. The label on the Jennie-O indicates it was commercially injected with 9.5% salt and sugar solution, so no need to brine.

Once again, turned out perfectly. Juicy breast, tender cooked thighs. Tried a slightly lower temp of 325F instead of the 375F mentioned above because it was going to finish too soon and we ate a late lunch. Result? Skin didn't crisp up like the 375F version. Also, the temps were closer at the end. 166F breast, 172F thigh.

I hosted my coffee to Chef JJ. Thank you, old friend, for haunting our threads.

Thanks for the report back. Yep, that damn poultry skin is tricky. Did you cover the bird at all? I refuse to cover my birds EXCEPT when transporting. Even then the covered transport talks the skin backwards from how good it comes out of the smoker for me.

I personally think poultry skin is the trickiest quirk to fight with of ALL meats we smoke. I find it more problematic than learning and nailing the quirks of a brisket. More problematic by far for me :)

Yep, that damn poultry skin is tricky. Did you cover the bird at all?

No, I did not cover the bird. The skin was okay, just not that crispy "can't keep it out of my mouth" skin. The lower 325F made the difference. Shoulda stuck to 375F and ignored the clock.

I tossed the skin in a bag to use for making baked crispies, but I think that bag went out with the trash. No where to be found this morning. Hmmmm.

No, I did not cover the bird. The skin was okay, just not that crispy "can't keep it out of my mouth" skin. The lower 325F made the difference. Shoulda stuck to 375F and ignored the clock.

I tossed the skin in a bag to use for making baked crispies, but I think that bag went out with the trash. No where to be found this morning. Hmmmm.
doh!

Great instructionals on the whole turkey.

No turkey for me due to taste. Scale down to the whole chicken I do cook.'
Spatchcock is my only method for whole bird. The thigh actually cooks out out before the breast dries out.

I've lost count, but I've probably cooked more than 200 turkeys over the decades. This flipping method, when the right oven temps are used, is probably the easiest, most consistently successful method I've ever done that results in juicy white and tender dark. Heck, it still works when you screw up the process by messing with the temps.

I usually beer can chickens in the smoker or grill, backs toward the heat. Kind of the same process. But, I found a single whole chicken roasting pan buried in a cabinet the other day. Got a couple of yard birds in the freezer. Guess I'll try the flipping method with them and see if it works as well. I'll keep the same temps and cut the initial timings in half.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky