Turkey Pastrami Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

s2k9k

AMNPS Test Group
Original poster
Sep 8, 2011
SEUSA
I am wanting to try a turkey pastrami, I did a beef pastrami awhile back (basically followed SmokinAl's recipe) and it came out really good. I want to wet cure it and am wondering if I should do it just like beef pastrami or should I do anything different. The beef I did was brined/cured with cure#1, salt, brown sugar and various other spices. I injected it then put in big ziplock bag and filled with brine solution. I left it in the fridge for 10 days turning it everyday. Should I use the cure#1? Should I let it soak for 10 days?

I searched the forum for turkey pastrami but didn't find much detail about wet cures.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Dave

Evening S2K9K, I haven't done it but Cowgirl has it on her site "Cowgirls Country LIfe". I've used some of her other recipes and they came out great! Good Luck!

Thanks Bob! I checked it out and she does everything "dry cured" and didn't mention using a "cure" on turkey, so I am now wondering what cure#1 will do to turkey and if I should attempt it.

S2K9K,

I would follow SmokenAl's recipe.  But cut the time in the wet brine/cure down to a day or 2 but no longer. I don't think that poultry will need that long to take the cure.  Turkey is a pretty delicate meat.  

Good luck.. lets see some Qview..

Any other ideas about turkey pastrami out there?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky