Turkey on my Pit Barrel Cooker - spotty rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nyc smoke

Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Glad too see a lotta pre-Thanksgiving "practice turkeys" here, and I'm at it too. Did a 15 lb bird on my PBC (which I absolutely LOVE) and it tasted great, moist, just the right amount of smoke, but the rub didn't seem to stay on in a uniform way. Left the bare bird uncovered in fridge overnight to help get a crispy skin (which it was), then used a little bit of canola oil spray and an even coating of rub (salt, garlic powder, smoked paprika). Here's the result, any ideas about why the rub is spotty are much appreciated.

With the skin dried out, the canola oil wasn't enough to get the rub to stick.

On my last turkey I melted a stick of butter & mixed the rub in the butter then brushed it on.

It stayed on quite well.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky