Turkey is in!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

keverroni

Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Well folks, I'm giving it a shot this year! I decided to take over the turkey duties, hauled my Masterbuilt Pro Propane smoker 6 hours to my sister's house and got everything going this year. Here's what I've got going:
13.5 lb bird at 250 degrees. I stuffed with citrus this morning, and also covered the whole thing in olive oil and a dry rub. Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours while i got the smoker all set up and to temp. I had a bunch of mesquite wood sitting around, so I'm using that to smoke. Not sure how this is all going to turn out, but I've got the family convinced everything is under control. I'm thinking about 7 hours or so at this temp? Will keep folks updated!

Forgot, there is a stick of butter under the skin of the breasts too!

It's sitting at 157...Should I pull and cover at 160? How long do I let it sit before carving?

Malcom Reed says he pulls at 162 to get the breast at 165 after he tents his bird from the smoker. I have been reading that turkey is safe after 150 as long as it is held at that temp or higher for ten min. At 165 the salmonella is apparently killed within 10 seconds and that is why the FDA says it is the new safe temp. 

But the bird will rise after its pulled from pit a few degrees but if you really want that 165 I would wait a little more. But by the time you read this you may have already pulled it lol. 

Gonna carve it tonight and reheat tomorrow is the plan! Tips on reheating?

I know the larger piece of meet you can keep closer to serving the better it will be, because it will be able to retain and hold on to the water loss from the muscle. That being said if you have to cut it I would take some broth and add it to your pan and cover it tight when you reheat. Try to get that steam effect to reheat without drying out. Also I would look at a brine for next years bird. IMO its a little more work but you cant get a juicer bird. 

Here is the finished product! Had a taste of it and it was great! Now I've cut it into large sections (Leg/thigh, Wing, Breast), and I've got it wrapped and covered in the fridge! Going to warm up tomorrow!

Reactions: mike5051
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky