Turkey in a UDS new build question

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by mstrmike, Jan 15, 2011.

1. IM gonna start a build tomorrow, I built my fire basket total height 12" . I plan to install a shelf for a water bowl 3" above that. My question is i would like to be able to smoke turkey without a dome lid. Is there enough room left for a shelf low enough for a turkey,has  anyone tried it ?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  2. dburgette

dburgette Fire Starter

If you are doing one turkey on the bottom rack with the top rack removed you will be fine.

3. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I smoke my turkeys on the bottom rack all the time and just leave the top rack out. What is your reasoning for the water pan? The UDS is a very moist environment and doesn't need a water pan unless you are trying to catch drippings or something. Thats just my $.02

4. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

The answer is yes, you will have enough room for a 20# bird if you want. The moist environment is not the  problem, I personally don't like sour smoke created by fat dripping on the fire. Just my honest opinion. Here's my plan for a 55 gallon UDS. I love mine and have had to stop using it because of county codes. I have built a 30 gallon electric to satisfy my needs. Long story! [​IMG]

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/uds-ugly-drum-smoker