Turkey in a UDS new build question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mstrmike

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 26, 2010
Lake Isabella, Ca.
IM gonna start a build tomorrow, I built my fire basket total height 12" . I plan to install a shelf for a water bowl 3" above that. My question is i would like to be able to smoke turkey without a dome lid. Is there enough room left for a shelf low enough for a turkey,has  anyone tried it ?

Last edited:
I smoke my turkeys on the bottom rack all the time and just leave the top rack out. What is your reasoning for the water pan? The UDS is a very moist environment and doesn't need a water pan unless you are trying to catch drippings or something. Thats just my $.02

The answer is yes, you will have enough room for a 20# bird if you want. The moist environment is not the  problem, I personally don't like sour smoke created by fat dripping on the fire. Just my honest opinion. Here's my plan for a 55 gallon UDS. I love mine and have had to stop using it because of county codes. I have built a 30 gallon electric to satisfy my needs. Long story!
PDT_Armataz_01_27.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/uds-ugly-drum-smoker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky