Turkey - Help the Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

superreverb

Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I'm new to all of this. My Wife got me an MES for Christmas (I requested it...). I opened it up day before yesterday and broke it in (at her suggestion :)). Last night I did my first smoke. Sockeye Salmon with a honey-mustard and dill sauce bake/smoked with apple wood to an internal temp of 150-ish. We, and our guests, were very pleased with results.

That being said, I'm going to smoke a 15-lb fresh turkey for Christmas dinner. I'm not going to brine it, but will probably rub-and-rest it with a combo of spices that I like on turkey.

My question is: How long would a 15-lb bird take? I'm figuring 225-deg for a cooking temp and pulling the bird at an internal temp. of 170.

I guessing I'm really asking for a ballpark figure of time required per pound? I don't want to start the bird too late and have everyone waiting for dinner.

Love the forum by the way!! I've been wanting to cook with smoke for a while now and am so glad I found this place!!

The MES will burn wood quickly at 275* pit temp so watch the wood you put in it. Keep the top vent wide open and just add 3-4 chips or 1 small chunck every 30-40 minutes. Apple wood is a good choice for turkey. just don't oversmoke it.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas

Stop by the roll call thread and introduce yourself when you find the time

Thanks, Illini!!!

275-deg it shall be! 5-hours seems perfect, time-wise - Gonna be a looooong day with all of the relative floating around. "I'd love to hear that story for the 135th time, Uncle Jack, but I've gotta go check the smoker.....again."
wink.gif

You will notice the internal temp rising rather quickly at some point in time. Resist the temptation to lower the pit temp and slow it down. At the upper end of the internal temp it will slow down considerably and the time factor will stretch out. 175 to almost 180 probably will be aok for pulling it out also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky