Turkey Brine recipe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RandR

Original poster
Nov 21, 2022
First time to smoke a turkey, we have two 12lb turkeys. I have read so many confusing things online about brines, and if to stuff with herbs and apples etc.
I'm thinking I want a good apple cider sage type brine. If you have a tired and true recipe. Please help a beginner out.
Below is the picture on the turkey it shows 3% water salt solution, which I am scared of over salty turkey.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221121_173516_Message+.jpg
    Screenshot_20221121_173516_Message+.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 404
I don't have an apple cider sage recipe.. however, I can tell you that there is absolutely nothing to worry about when brining a pre-injected bird.

I have been brining pre-injected birds for over a decade now.

What they do at the factory does not result in a salty bird.. not even close. Use a brine that is 1 cup of Morton's coarse kosher salt to 1 gallon of liquid and it will be perfect.

Maybe someone will drop in that has a tried and true brine made from apple cider and sage.

Jeff has you covered on basic brine and info. Your bird is pretty low brine to begin with so you are good to brine further. What I would recommend against is stuffing a smoked bird. If you do decide to stuff with apples and things just don't overstuff. You want the heat to move pretty free through the cavity

Two 12 lb turkeys! Very wise. That's how I would do it. And recently I've seen Chef Kenji recommend the same strategy.

What I do is smoke a 12 lb turkey stuffed with apples and onions - as much as I can get in there. Then I seal both ends tight with mechanic's wire. I try to make it air tight - to keep all that moisture in there. Then I smoke it low and slow until it's done. 225 F. I don't amp up the temp at the end. Just keep it at 225 F. Been doing it this way for over 30 years. Chickens too! My wife loves it. Happy wife, happy life.

The skin is definitely not crispy, but it is dark and beautiful - and the breast meat and dark meat squirts juice like a fresh orange - and that's without a wet brine and without injection. Very nice natural turkey flavor.

I recently ran across this vid of a french chef who does it the same way! The difference is, he cooks it faster and not in a smoker. He cooks at 325.

The last several years I've been doing a dry brine - it adds to the flavor. It enhances the natural flavor of the turkey. Thank you Judy Rodgers.

Funny story - my buddy was smoking chickens 35 years ago and a small deli owner tried one once and it was so delicious he asked him if he could smoke chickens for his deli. He said sure! He used the same recipe I use today because he was the smoked chicken whisperer back then. In fact, he was the reason I began smoking chickens in the first place! His chickens was the reason I bought my first smoker.

Back to the story - It took a few weeks, but before long, the smoked chickens were selling like hotcakes. He couldn't smoke them fast enough. He would smoke six at a time in his back yard.

Long story short, the FDA found out about it and he got called downtown and ended up getting fined. Something in the low four figures. This was back in the late 80s when low four figures was considered to be a lot of money.

But the point is, those chickens were damn good. I mean - unbelievably tasty good.

And they still are. He still does them the same way today.

Good luck.

A 3% solution is nothing to worry about. I've brined birds that had up to 8% solution before and they all turned out fine.

As for an apple cider sage brine, there are a few recipes on the internet.
I've not used them, but this one sounded promising.

I decided to post the link to the site with the recipe since the step-by-step instructions are helpful to folks especially if they are new to brining. Also, when I run the numbers through an equilibrium calculator, you end up with a 3% salt brine.

Reactions: RandR
Wow thank you to everyone who responded. I might try one with wet brine one with dry and see how they both turn out. This is going to be a fun adventure into turkey smoking !

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Look up the slauterhouse brine. I use it on all poultry. It’s killer good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky