Turkey breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
I have a 1/2 breast (1 1/2 lb) piece of boneless, skinless breast to cook up. That size works well for the 3 of us.

Last time I cooked turkey breast it was bone in, skin on so looking for assistance.

I will brine the meat first as that adds juiciness and flavour.

How to cook it? I have both an MES 30 and an offset barrel smoker.

Suggestions?

My thought is to smoke 225ish in MES for ??? hours and then finish on the offset.

Brine and smoke in the MES at 225 until IT is 165. Its skinless so I see no need to finish on the offset.

Mike

I agree with Mike, no skin so no need to fire up the offset.

Chris

Any estimates on time t cook?
Doing my R&D, I saw around 3 - 4 hours tossed around a lot.

Mine took almost 6, but having 2 pans of Pork Belly burnt ends in the bottom of the smoker for 2 1/2 hours jacked with the times on everything else.

I think considering how small the meat is that I will cook indirect for 1 1/2 hours. The meat is in a maple brine waiting.

I put it on at 5:15 on indirect. As I put cold coals down below the hot and overloaded the cold coals, the temp above the meat rose up to 415F. I left it alone and the temp of the meat was 175F at an hour. I left it alone and was nice and tasty at 1 & 1/2 hours. There was a smoke ring and slight smoke taste but more taste of the rub.

I am guessing you decided to go with the offset, sure hope that wasn't in the MES, LOL

Sounds like a successful meal, maple brine sounds great.

I prefer the offset if I can use it. I havent mastered smoking on it yet but been too busy most afternoons on the weekend to take the time.

It was tasty. The maple flavour was subtle but there. I used maple wood chips as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky