Couple of Boneless Turkey Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

petehalsted

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Injection Recipe
================
1 Stick Butter
2 Cups Broth
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS onion powder

Steps

1. Rinse and Injected, leave net on them.
2. Rub with SLPOG (my version of SPOG except I do half Coarse Black Pepper and half Lemon Pepper) These are for the Mrs so I wasn't allowed to "Cajun" them up.
3. Into 225 smoker until 165 IT
4. Rest 30 minutes

These will be turned into lunch meat with the slicer tomorrow, but I sliced a few thicker slices off for Q/A and for the non pork eater in the house.

They took WAY longer than the 3-4 hours I was expecting, but having the two pans of PBBE in the bottom of the smoker for 2 1/2 hours really jacked with the cooking time on everything else. I was worried they were going to be dry going so long, but that definitely ain't an issue!!! The Mrs says way better than the stuff she just got at the deli, she isn't much into smoked meats but she prefers smoked turkey to oven roasted for her sandwiches.

turkey1.jpg

turkey2.jpg

Thanks everyone, the real tale of the tape, was the Mrs.

She complains about me smoking everything. But then, she was complaining the other day that all she could get from the deli was either oven roasted or hickory smoked turkey. And I saw an opportunity.

Well after the taste test last night she said she was going to go look for some more turkey breast, no more deli turkey for her! Without factoring in the cost of time and charcoal, this is about 1/2 price to what she pays at the deli as well. So already a winner.

BTW, the one sliced for the photos was a butterball, the other one was a honey suckle. We all agreed the honey suckle had a much richer deeper flavor. I suspect because the "enhanced" butterball, competed with my injection.

Final shots, All sliced up and ready for freezer. Mrs says she has to get through the last deli turkey before she can eat the "good stuff"

turkey3.jpg
turkey4.jpg

Reactions: Bearcarver
Nice work!

If you are worried about juiciness you can always brine the turkey breast for 24 hours. This does wonders for me. I just use a simple salt and water brine, nothing fancy and all dryness issues are prevented. I also do this for whole chickens, chicken breast, and pork loin (even in chop form).

Nice work!

If you are worried about juiciness you can always brine the turkey breast for 24 hours. This does wonders for me. I just use a simple salt and water brine, nothing fancy and all dryness issues are prevented. I also do this for whole chickens, chicken breast, and pork loin (even in chop form).

X2 on the brine, and I have also noted that the brined chops and birds tend to cook quicker than the non brined alternatives. so jucier and quicker cook... why not brine?

Looks great! Just ordered a slicer for my bacon which is set to come in tomorrow and was actually thinking about doing this same thing for sandwich meat

X2 on the brine, and I have also noted that the brined chops and birds tend to cook quicker than the non brined alternatives. so jucier and quicker cook... why not brine?

I'm a brine all the way guy. When pork loin goes on sale I buy it and cut it into big 2 inch chops. I either butterfly and grill the cops or brine and smoke them in all their 2 inch thick glory. I LOVE those things!

Looks great! Just ordered a slicer for my bacon which is set to come in tomorrow and was actually thinking about doing this same thing for sandwich meat

A slicer will give you what you are looking for. You can also start looking into making sandwich meat from ground meat you form into loaves or stuff into the big bologna style casings :)
I do an awesome venison pastrami sandwich meat from ground venison and beef fat. It is out of this world!

Since the thread has "come back to life". Figured I would post an update. Mrs hasn't felt like sandwiches much lately, and I ain't much of a turkey sandwich guy, but I have gone through 2 backs of this turkey with some cheese and crackers. OMG, is it good with some cheese and crackers. Add a cold one, and you have a quick and easy meal for Sunday in front of the tube!

I tried a "brining turkey" search and not really finding what I am looking for. What is a method for, say, a 24 hour brine as mentioned above? In what? Just set covered in fridge?

Think this might also be some weekend plan...that looks darn good!

I tried a "brining turkey" search and not really finding what I am looking for. What is a method for, say, a 24 hour brine as mentioned above? In what? Just set covered in fridge?

Think this might also be some weekend plan...that looks darn good!

Salt dissolved in water and added to a container that can hold the bird. I use a 3 gallon bucket or a 7 gallon bucket when really packing stuff in.
If the bird can float then fill a gallon bag up with ice and set on top to keep the bird under water.
Cover the container it and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.

The amount of salt will vary, I just eyeball it but I'm sure a calculator out there exists for the amount of salt (in weight) to the gallons of water and weight of meat/bird.

I hope this info helps some :)

Salt dissolved in water and added to a container that can hold the bird. I use a 3 gallon bucket or a 7 gallon bucket when really packing stuff in.
If the bird can float then fill a gallon bag up with ice and set on top to keep the bird under water.
Cover the container it and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.

The amount of salt will vary, I just eyeball it but I'm sure a calculator out there exists for the amount of salt (in weight) to the gallons of water and weight of meat/bird.

I hope this info helps some :)

I have always gone with 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of sugar, to one gallon of water. If it takes more water I add the appropriate amounts of salt and sugar to get that additional water to the right concentration. If I add seasoning and flavorings that contain salt (like cajun seasoning or soy sauce) I back the salt down, If I add a sugary liquid like fruit juice or pop then I back the sugar down. Now I've seen some brines around here that call for 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of salt to 1 gallon of water and I havent tried that much sugar yet, but I am sure I will at some point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky