Turkey Breast Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sean the Nailer

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 9, 2023
Greetings ya'll,
In the next week or so, I'm looking to thaw 2 turkeys that we've got in the freezer. I plan to debone both of them, roast the bones then make a broth for canning. As well as making some 'Turkey Soup' for My Lady and I. (heavy on the meat, light on the noodles)

But the breasts themselves, I'm looking to inject with STPP and brine them for a number of days, then smoke them to turn into Pastrami.

I've been trying to research the STPP and this whole process, and have a lot to learn. By all means, sing-out. And we'll be using the ReadyCure that was discussed in the other thread, too. Until it's done. (used up). We have the TSPP coming in sometime this week.

Blessings,

--forgot to add, as I'm still learning how this website works and the 'general expectations' etc, but is this the correct forum to be asking in, or 'recipes only' or Poultry, or????

Greetings ya'll,
In the next week or so, I'm looking to thaw 2 turkeys that we've got in the freezer. I plan to debone both of them, roast the bones then make a broth for canning. As well as making some 'Turkey Soup' for My Lady and I. (heavy on the meat, light on the noodles)

But the breasts themselves, I'm looking to inject with STPP and brine them for a number of days, then smoke them to turn into Pastrami.

I've been trying to research the STPP and this whole process, and have a lot to learn. By all means, sing-out. And we'll be using the ReadyCure that was discussed in the other thread, too. Until it's done. (used up). We have the TSPP coming in sometime this week.

Blessings,

--forgot to add, as I'm still learning how this website works and the 'general expectations' etc, but is this the correct forum to be asking in, or 'recipes only' or Poultry, or????
Hi there and welcome!

This "Poultry" section will work fine.

As long as you cure the breast well you should do well. If these are big thick breast you may want to consider a liquid brine and inject it all throughout the breast.
IF they aren't too thick and can lay flat'ish then there won't be an issue dry curing it.

I look forward to seeing what you make!

I got the order of STPP in, and I'm still in the process of making a 'wind-shield' for our hot-smoker.

STPP Order.jpg

Progress is good. Even when it's slow, it's still progress.

So my first question is, do I have to inject with this as well as 'wet brine' with "the stuff" for 7-10 days? Like I did with the brisket when I made corned beef & Pastrami?

Or do buzzard's not take as long?

So my first question is, do I have to inject with this as well as 'wet brine' with "the stuff" for 7-10 days? Like I did with the brisket when I made corned beef & Pastrami?

Or do buzzard's not take as long?
It is my understanding that salt and cure travel at like 1/4 inch every 24 hours.
How thick is the meat? Use that information to figure out your cure time and add a day or 2 to make sure.

I just inject to ensure it is all good to go and if you used an equilibrium wet brine that you injected you can never be too salty even if it is fully cured for more days than you expected :)

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
It is my understanding that salt and cure travel at like 1/4 inch every 24 hours.
How thick is the meat? Use that information to figure out your cure time and add a day or 2 to make sure.

I just inject to ensure it is all good to go and if you used an equilibrium wet brine that you injected you can never be too salty even if it is fully cured for more days than you expected :)

Great info, always good to read as a reminder to all ( me )

David

I've used the daveomak daveomak injectable cure (which does not require a covering brine) for hams using picnic shoulder, Boston butt, pork loin, and used a variation for Porkstrami from a Boston butt. The injection uses both STPP and Cure #1. Just a heads up, The STPP is added to the liquid first, then dissolved. I believe there is a mixing issue if STPP is added after salt anc Cure #1 (which is mostly salt). So keep that in mind. This is a snip from the spreadsheet shown in a previous post.

Notes: Add Ingredients to Vegetable Stock in This Order
Vegetable Stock
1. STPP AmesPhos
2. Sugar
3. Salt
4. Cure #1

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky