Turkey breast, foil and cooler???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doug123

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 14, 2006
Pittsburgh
Brothers,

I did a turkey breast a month or so a go that turned out real good. I'm looking to do another one Saturday. My wife will be at work, so I would like to start it around noon or even earlier so it is done before 5pm, when she gets home.

So let's say it is done at 4pm and we aren't eating until 5:30pm.

Can I place in a foil roaster pan with apple juice, seal with foil, wrap with a blanket and put it in a cooler until we are ready to eat? Or won't that work the same way with turkey?

Basically I want it to be done ahead of time then just pull it out and slice when I am ready. Last time I said we would eat at 5pm and it wasn't done until 7pm :shock: I'm not looking for a repeat performance.

This will be a 4.75 pound solid piece of turkey breast.

Also, someone gave me some slab bacon so I was going to try draping some of that over the turkey. I think I'm going to give Dutch's Wicked Baked beans a try also :D

Any advice appreciated, thanks

I would think that the only negative would be limp skin, which it is anyway unless you are crisping the skin in a deepfryer or some other technique. What could happen…juicier and more tender, oh dear!
Go for it…thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s my 2 sheckles worth!

I would do like you said in your first post, but not use the bacon, and add bourbon to your apple juice. I foil my turks when they get the color that I like, and resting in a cooler never hurt anyone. To get crispier skin, just raise the temp during the last part of the cook. Maybe you could get two smaller breasts and try some different options.
f88a6ed7_vbattach10916.jpg

Thanks guys. The way the breast came last time, it is wrapped in a net with a piece of skin on the bottom. It is not connected. I think I just threw the skin away last time, I don't remember.

Anyway, let's say there will be no skin.

Noah, why no bacon? I thought that was supposed to be good?

Really, I want to use the bacon up also.

That is a great pic of your turkey by the way :D

Bacon is good, and if you are wanting to use it, then do so! Ususally I cook turks for the healthy benefits (as I need something to off set the effects of pork!), and I like the taste of seasoned and crispy skin. I was just thinking you were using the bacon to offset the soggy skin. Like I said, experiment and let us know how things come out!

Thanks!

One more thing. I recently bought some wood and have cherry, apple and plum.

I was going to go with the apple but am thinking about using the plum.

Has anyone used plum on turkey? I think I have heard it was good but I've never used it.

I use bacon alot on my whole turkey breasts, but for some reason, they never make it al the way to the end of the cook. They seem to disappear about 4 hours into the cook.

Then they leave a line on the skin, where the smoke could'nt get at the turkey at the beginning of the cook.

I can't tell you how many times the kids have asked why there are lightly colored "X"'s on top of the turkey.

I just shrug, say I don't know, and hope they don't see the bacon grease finger prints all over my shirt from grabbing them when they are too hot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky