Turkey breast cure than inject?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Since curing a turkey that the only way I like do them now. I want to try Pop's magic injection on this one. If I cure it first will it still take injection or should I just do the injection?

I have no answer, but I'll bump this because I'm interested also.

Chris

I feel like if you're using Pop's curing brine , the meat is going to be too saturated to accept any further injections.

Reactions: tallbm
Since curing a turkey that the only way I like do them now. I want to try Pop's magic injection on this one. If I cure it first will it still take injection or should I just do the injection?
Are you curing with Pop's brine ? Is the " magic injection " the brine or something else ?
I do poultry with Pop's alot . I mix the brine in 1 gallon batches . Inject as much as it will hold , then soak it .

Yup . Injecting first , it still equals out . Just gives it a head start .

I might be reading this wrong.. but it seems that he wants to cure the turkey.. then inject it.

If he uses Pops Brine to cure the turkey the meat is going to be saturated and will not accept any further injections designed for flavor enhancement.

If he is talking about using Pops Brine to cure the turkey and asking if he needs to inject the brine into the bird to help with curing the meat, then yes.. injection is recommended.

The original posting isn't clear what the intentions are, but curing and injecting for flavor/juiciness are two distinct things as you and I are both well aware of. Pop's Brine can be flavored to accomplish a flavored cure, but it's not going to help to brine anything and then later inject it.

I might be reading this wrong..
I'm talking about using Pop's brine only . Inject then soak . We're in agreement on the rest . That's why I asked him about what the injection was .
If he's using only Pop's inject then soak .
If after market injection , inject and hold over night . No Pop's brine .

Reactions: kilo charlie
Are you curing with Pop's brine ? Is the " magic injection " the brine or something else ?
I do poultry with Pop's alot . I mix the brine in 1 gallon batches . Inject as much as it will hold , then soak it .
I am using this from Kevin's post

Thought would cure with Pop's brine first but not sure if injection after cure would work good? I like what curing does to a turkey and thought would combine the 2.

I am using this from Kevin's post

Thought would cure with Pop's brine first but not sure if injection after cure would work good? I like what curing does to a turkey and thought would combine the 2.
Please see chopsaw chopsaw 's post (post #7) He's saying it clearer than I am! My apologies to both of you for the confusion !

My apologies to both of you for the confusion !
No confusion . I completely agree with you , and what you posted .

I would not combine the two . You've done Pop's brine . You know how it comes out .
Try Kevin's injection so you know how it is by itself .
Then at some point you can either flavor Pop's brine with Kevin's seasoning
or
Mix up Kevin's brine and pump the bird by weight adding the correct amount of cure 1 to it .

So as I am not ready to smoke yet and really like cured turkey decided to just cure this one. i am not sure about that injection taste so I am going to try on a chicken first.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky