Turkey bacon wraps?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MileHighSmokerGirl

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 29, 2019
Denver, CO
My dad used to make these but he can't remember what they're called. For some reason I have it in my head that they are "turkey tenderloin wrapped in bacon", but am unsure if that's correct.

These aren't smoked, just thrown on the bbq grille. Can anyone clue me in as to what these actually are and what the proper name for them is?

003---Top-20---Bacon-Wrapped-Filet-Mignon-_USDA-Prime_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Reactions: Steve H and kruizer
For starters, those look awfully dark to be turkey. That looks like bacon wrapped beef tenderloins (filet mignon) but of course it's hard to tell from one pic. I used to see something very similar in the grocer's coolers pre-packaged and ready to take home for cooking. Of course I could very well be wrong.

These aren't smoked, just thrown on the bbq grille.

Now let's get down to debating semantics shall we? :emoji_wink: In my world, a grill is a grill and rarely if ever used for BBQ. It is used for grilling. BBQ is actually a noun that is derived from the result achieved from a long, slow cooking process of any number of different meats. BBQ is what you eat, not what you do. I hear this all the time on TV with people seeking houses (Tracy's chosen shows) and there is a grill on the patio and they say "oh look, it has a BBQ". No, it has a grill. I see no smoked meat on the patio :emoji_laughing:

Now back to your original question. Did you prepare those yourself or buy them ready to cook? If you bought them, are there any other pics available you can share so we can help you dial it in?

Robert

The picture above looks like filet mignon (beef)to me as well

Turkey tenderloins look like large chicken breasts, like in this thread Turkey Tenderloins but you could most certainly cut them to your desired size and wrap bacon around them.

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
For starters, those look awfully dark to be turkey. That looks like bacon wrapped beef tenderloins (filet mignon) but of course it's hard to tell from one pic. I used to see something very similar in the grocer's coolers pre-packaged and ready to take home for cooking. Of course I could very well be wrong.

Now let's get down to debating semantics shall we? :emoji_wink: In my world, a grill is a grill and rarely if ever used for BBQ. It is used for grilling. BBQ is actually a noun that is derived from the result achieved from a long, slow cooking process of any number of different meats. BBQ is what you eat, not what you do. I hear this all the time on TV with people seeking houses (Tracy's chosen shows) and there is a grill on the patio and they say "oh look, it has a BBQ". No, it has a grill. I see no smoked meat on the patio :emoji_laughing:

Now back to your original question. Did you prepare those yourself or buy them ready to cook? If you bought them, are there any other pics available you can share so we can help you dial it in?

Robert

they were similar, but that was just a generic image I grabbed off google.

I didn't prepare them my dad. It's been a LONG time, struggling to remember, but I think wrapped the bacon around them and put them on the grill.

I don't have any other pics unfortunately. I tried to jog my dad's memory but he couldn't remember either. He recognized them, but didn't remember what they were called.

Agreed.

A butcher close to me has turkey tenderloins wrapped in bacon as a kabob, but much smaller than the pic.
thank you.

The picture above looks like filet mignon (beef)to me as well

Turkey tenderloins look like large chicken breasts, like in this thread Turkey Tenderloins but you could most certainly cut them to your desired size and wrap bacon around them.

thank you.

Look at the Pic Boys! Even If the grate openings are 1/2" , I doubt they are even that wide, that Bacon Wrapped Medallion ( proper name ) would be about 2 1/2" across, pretty TINY hunk of Beef Tenderloin, yes?
The pic could very well be a Bacon Wrapped Turkey Tender Medallion or a Pork Tender Medallion. High heat can get Turkey that brown...JJ

Robert, your Deep South is showing!!! Folks North of Oklahoma call anything with a Grate over a Heat Source a BBQ GRILL...AND...A Forth of July or Summer Time Weekend Gathering of folks, friends and family, flipping Burgers and Dogs on their BBQ GRILLS are having/throwing a BARBECUE!
I know...I'm one of them Damn YANKEES...JJ

Reactions: sawhorseray
JJ hit the nail on the head. Turkey medallions. I do the same thing except I use pork tenderloin. If you try making these you may want to precook your bacon a little. Up here basically anything cooked outside is labeled BBQ.

Another Damn Yankee.
Chris

Look at the Pic Boys! Even If the grate openings are 1/2" , I doubt they are even that wide, that Bacon Wrapped Medallion ( proper name ) would be about 2 1/2" across, pretty TINY hunk of Beef Tenderloin, yes?
The pic could very well be a Bacon Wrapped Turkey Tender Medallion or a Pork Tender Medallion. High heat can get Turkey that brown...JJ

thank you! I'll try asking the butcher about these. When I called them turkey tenderloins, he got confused and wasn't sure what I was talking about.

Turkey Tenderloins can be found in many grocery stores, there is not a Meat Buyers Guide Number for them. It would be best to just take your phone and show him a Google Picture...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky