Turkey and ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tinamvial

Original poster
Nov 25, 2020
Newbie here. Smoking a spatchcocked Turkey tomorrow and pulled a couple ham steaks from the freezer from the hog we bought. Thought I'd throw them on while I was at it. Totally blitzed on curing first. Any advice on a plan?

Newbie here. Smoking a spatchcocked Turkey tomorrow and pulled a couple ham steaks from the freezer from the hog we bought. Thought I'd throw them on while I was at it. Totally blitzed on curing first. Any advice on a plan?

Tinamvial,
Welcome to SMF from North Texas.
Since you are doing ham steaks, If you have all the necessary ingredients you can do overnight wet brine to get the signature ham flavor, rinse and add to the smoker. Watch your IT temp though, a ham steak will dry out well before the bird is done, I would add it towards the end of the cook.

If you do not have the ingredients for a wet brine, you can always cook the steaks like you would pork chops or pork tenderloin. It just won't have that salty taste ham is known to have.

Good luck.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Tinamvial,
Welcome to SMF from North Texas.
Since you are doing ham steaks, If you have all the necessary ingredients you can do overnight wet brine to get the signature ham flavor, rinse and add to the smoker. Watch your IT temp though, a ham steak will dry out well before the bird is done, I would add it towards the end of the cook.

If you do not have the ingredients for a wet brine, you can always cook the steaks like you would pork chops or pork tenderloin. It just won't have that salty taste ham is known to have.

Good luck.

Smoke ON!

- Jason
Thanks, Jason! Got a favorite wet brine recipe? I'll do it right after I eat a piece of pecan pie!

Thanks, Jason! Got a favorite wet brine recipe? I'll do it right after I eat a piece of pecan pie!
Just saw this... I hope you figured out a brine recipe for your Ham Steaks.

Here is the brine that I use (for average 7lbs ham):
- 2 1/4 Cups Kosher Salt
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar (Dark not light)
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Prague Powder #2
- 1 Tablespoon Pickling Spice
- 1/3 Cup Molasses
- Dozen dried whole cloves
- 1 Tablespoon whole Allspice Berries
- 6 qts of Ice Cold Water

I boil 8 cups of water (from the 6qt total) add the ingredients and simmer until fully dissolved, then chill in the fridge for 6 hours.
I brine in a plastic 5 Gallon bucket in the fridge (with shelves removed) for 7 days.
I smoke with a blend of Applewood (75%) and Post Oak (25%).

I hope yours turned out good!

Happy Thanksgiving and Smoke ON!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky