Turducken?!?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brianj517

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 3, 2005
Northeast Ohio
Hello All,
I seem to remember hearing about an interesting recipe idea called turducken. It involves taking a de-boned turtkey, duck, and chicken, and stuffing one inside the other. It sounded like a real show-stopper, if done properly.

Has anyone heard of this? It seems that it would be ideal for the low and slow style of smoke cooking. If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know. I would love to give it a try sometime... :?

Cheers,
Brian

Oh yeah, every once in a while Food Network runs the Emeril episode where he does one. Chicken inside a duck inside a turkey. When we lived in Dallas we actually saw TurDuckEn in the freezer section of Tom Thumb supermarket. I haven't seen it in any other city that we've lived in. I guess you can try and stuff it yourself but I would look for a butcher to do it for you.

I've been brining turkeys for years now and then grilling using inderect method or if I'm feeling lucky I will deep fry them. I would love to do that to the TurDuckEn one of these day's.

Wynn

I remember when ol' Justin Wilson had his cooking show on PBS. that was the first time I saw a Turducen and that's also the first show where I saw a turkey deep fried.

Wynn, it's good to see your still with us.

Dutch,

Thanks for the kind words!! It's good to be rambling through the site agian, albeit not as much as I would like. You know I remeber Justin Wilson on PBS too. In fact I saw that same Fried Turkey show you saw. I said to my self. this guy is nuts! Can you imagine what that tastes like?? Oh my good all the grease in the meat. Boy was I wrong about that! If it wasn't for the mess, I'd fry turkeys all the time.

-Wynn

Yea I've heard of it, I think its ether bass pro shops or cabalas-I cant remember-sells them. Try to see if you can find it on their website, The only thing I really can remember is it wasnt cheap! also It would seem like to me that it would be really hard for a smoker to cook it all the way thourgh. I could be wrong-let me know if anybody has any ideas about cooking turduckhen

Here is the recipe for turducken from paula deens show in case anyone wanted it.
Turducken
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 8 hours
Cook Time: 5 hours
Yield: 25 servings, as main course
User Rating: 4 Stars

Brine:
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 gallon water

18 to 21-pound turkey, skin intact and boned except for drumsticks
House seasoning, recipe follows
Cornbread Dressing, recipe follows
3 to 4-pound duck, boned
3 to 4-pound chicken, boned
Paprika

To make the brine: Mix salt and sugar with the water. Brine is ready when the mixture is completely dissolved. If the water is heated to quicken the process, make sure it is cooled to room temperature before placing meat in. Let the 3 birds sit in brine in the refrigerator overnight.

Preheat roaster to 500 degrees F.

Lay turkey skin side down on a flat surface. Dust turkey with House Seasoning and add 1/4-inch layer of cornbread dressing. Lay duck skin side down on top of dressing. Dust duck with House Seasoning and add 1/4-inch layer of dressing. Repeat with the chicken.

Begin trussing up the turkey at the neck. Insert metal skewer about 1/2-inch from the edge and up through the other side. Run butcher's twine between skin and skewer and tighten to draw both sides together. Continue down to legs. With every other skewer, draw together the duck and chicken skin. Tie together turkey legs to resemble standard turkey. Dust turkey skin with paprika.

Roast turducken for 15 minutes. Then turn the roaster down to 225 degrees F to finish, approximately 3 hours. Remove turducken from roaster once the internal temperature in the chicken reaches 155 degrees F. Let rest for at least 20 minutes before carving.

Cut across the middle of the breast completely through. Plate thin slices containing turkey, duck and chicken.

Cook's Notes: If using a smoker to cook, smoke at 225 degrees F for 5 hours, rotating every 20 to 30 minutes until internal temperature reaches 155 degrees F and external temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Try to keep the flare-ups from the fire to a minimum.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Cornbread Dressing:
Cornbread:
1 cup self rising cornmeal
1/2 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Dressing:
7 slices white bread, dried in warm oven
Cornbread
1 sleeve saltine crackers
2 cups chopped celery
1 large onion, chopped
8 tablespoons butter
7 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
5 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

To make the cornbread, combine all ingredients and pour into a greased shallow baking dish. Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

To make the dressing, crumble dried white bread slices, cornbread and crackers. Mix together and set aside. Saute chopped celery and onion in butter until transparent, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Pour over corn bread mixture. Add stock, mix well and add salt, pepper, sage, and poultry seasoning. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Follow instructions above to stuff birds.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Hey Undertaker-glad to see your still with us!!

Did Paula use a skinless duck? I know that some duck have a lot of fat under the skin-just wondering.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

IM still here Earl this is a great site with great people just havent had time to be on much lately hoping to be here alot more. My youngest daughter slipped up when i was watching steven riechlin and said hey thats the guy that wrote the books mommy got then she caught herself so i guess im getting some new bbq books lol from santa.

Yeah, I'm getting a couple of 'Que/Smoking books too, but I can't get the little Elves at my house to talk! Maybe if I threaten them with "NO MORE 'QUE FOR YOU" maybe they'll talk!! :twisted:

Hey Guys,
Don't mean to change the thread but if you're looking for a really great stocking stuffer, don't forget Dr. BBQ's book by Ray Lampe. It's discussed under "Smoking Supplies & Equipment > Smoking Books, Videos, Magazines" and posted by Gene Reda. I also have the book and it's one of my favorites.

Fl. Bill

Fl. Bill, I know Mrs. S. Cluas hs picked up "The Great Barbecue Companion Mops, Sops, Sauces, and Rubs by Bruce Bjorkman"-not sure what the other one is and she said that Barnes & Noble didn't carry Dr. BBQ's book. She said that I could order it on-line after Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and yours too, Bill. Looks like Amazon.com has the best price for it! My Mrs. Claus just said that I could order it-Whoo-hoo!!

Hope you get your SS GOSM!

Looks like Mrs. Claus is feeling generous this year. She just gave me permission to buy a new smoker. 8)

Hope ya'll get your wishes too! :D

Merry Christmas!!!

yo dudes and dudettes,
at the big chain store today--
i saw frozen turduchen---

all 16 lbs each...

only bones in it was turkey wing bones...

package said it had sausage in it also...

i guess thats how they get them to 16 lbs each.....

hang on to your wallet-------
whole turduchen was $59.95

1/2 turduchen [8 lbs] was $34.95

thats a lot of cake - jake

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky