Trying some short rib on the Pit Boss today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masssmoke

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Going to go with short rib today, working around some light rain here in MA.

These ribs were $$ to say the least but I wanted to give them a try.

Marinated over night in some Worcestershire and a bit of Italian dressing.
Then rubbed up with Rub Some Burger and on to the smoker...

Gonna run them for 3 hours at around 225 and then put in a foil pan.

I need to work out a plan for the liquids to add to the pan in the meantime...

IMG_0061.JPG

Reactions: JC in GB
Usually they go for about 6 a pound here but I think there a little tough to cook

Yeah they are not cheap.
I have had success in the past (with a different smoker) just using a 3-2-1 method.
One thing that does make them tricky is in a pack you usually get some thick and some thin

Gonna run them for 3 hours at around 225 and then put in a foil pan.

I need to work out a plan for the liquids to add to the pan in the meantime...

View attachment 394797

My favorite liquid is brew 12 to 16 ounces of coffee and add enough beef base to ramp up the beefiness. Al likes onion soup mix which should work well also. Take them to probe tender stage just like brisket and you will wish you had more of them!

IMG_0064.JPG

Here they are after 3 hours in the smoke, I put them in foil pans with some beef broth and bit of wine... largest rib showing 160 IT

Reactions: jcam222
I like that idea using the pan and broth. That will make them much more tender

hi so just to wrap it up here is a final view of the finished product- they came out good. Not quite fork tender but tender enough. Had to deal with a flameout so that set the time back a bit, but they ended up fine.
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0068.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky