1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Trying out salmon

Discussion in 'Fish' started by jake0531, Mar 9, 2019.

1. jake0531

jake0531 Meat Mopper

hello everyone, been a while since I’ve been on here.
    Saw salmon was on sale for 5.99/lb and decided to try it. My wife loves salmon, I’ve never had it.
    Doing Malcom reeds molasses glazed salmon recipe along with some asparagus. Have it going now so now, it smells delicious. I’ll post final pictures and results

2. jake0531

jake0531 Meat Mopper

D2D8B2FB-244D-4FC3-945B-A8345D533CF1.jpeg Here is the final pictures. I grabbed the salmon in the wrong spot and tore the ends so it’s not pretty but smells delicious

3. jake0531

jake0531 Meat Mopper

Overall it was okay. This is first time I’ve ever had salmon. It had too much of a fish taste to it for me. I love cod and bass and catfish and snapper, but this was just too much for my liking. The flavoring from the molasses glaze was delicious and so was the seasoning on top of that, but the flavor of the salmon itself I didn’t care for. My wife however enjoyed it, but she loves salmon anyway.

4. Braz

Braz Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looks good. Salmon is a favorite, when it is priced right.

5. one eyed jack

one eyed jack Master of the Pit

Pretty good price on your fish. I haven't seen Salmon under $9.00 a pound around here.

Sounds to me like; If you pleased your wife with the cooking, you did OK, being as she would know if it was good or not.

6. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Sockeye salmon cured in salt, pepper and sugar, smoked and skinned then added into a pint of cream cheese, a dash of Worcestershire sauce, squeeze of lemon, fresh dill and white pepper. Mix with a hand mixer/blender and let sit in the fridge a couple hours to over night to let the flavors marry. Serve on crackers or rye bread.

Salmon dip that will change your life!

jake0531 likes this.
  7. jake0531

jake0531 Meat Mopper

It’s on sale right now for lent. Usually we pay 9.99/lb on it, that’s why we tried this recipe out tonight. She enjoyed it and wants it again. I’ll make me a nice steak or something instead haha

8. one eyed jack

Sounds like a "win - win" to me. Enjoy your steak.

9. one eyed jack

That sounds like a "gotta try" to me Holly. Are you cold smoking after your cure? Using any cure salt?

10. Holly2015

Holly2015 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

• 1 cup each kosher salt and sugar w/ 1 tbls of white pepper. Put in a bowl and mix well.
    • Take a piece of practice wrap a little longer than twice the length of the salmon fillet and spread out on a fplat surface.
    • Put a layer using about 1/3rd of the "cure" on the plastic wrap.
    • Remove skin on salmon (1 to 1-1/2 pounds) fillet from grocery store and lay it skin side down on the cure covered plastic wrap.
    • Pour the rest of the cure on the flesh side of the fish and pat it down.
    • Pull the sides and ends of the plastic wrap up and cover the rest of the fillet.
    • On the tail side of the fillet cut the end off the plastic wrap as a drain.
    • Place a layer of paper towels in a non-reactive dish with a flat bottom large enough to hold the fillet
    • Place a tray on top of the fillet then put some weight (I use a 5 lb bag of flour) to press the fillet.
    • Place in fridge for 3 days flipping the meat every day.
    • On 3rd remove the fillet from the fridge and rinse off any remaining cure with fresh cols water then pat dry with paper towels.
    • Place on a rack and back into the refrigerator uncovered for 12 to 24 hours to dry and develop a pellicle.

Congratulation you just made Lox and the fish can be sliced paper thin and eaten as is w/ bagels and cream cheese or take a portion of it and move onto making the salmon dip.
    • Next day remove fillet from fridge and let it come up to room temp while you set up the smoker
    • Hot smoke 180 to 225 fillet until the filet is flakey.
    • Pull from smoker and restrain yourself from eating it all right then and there.
    • Once the fillet cools pull the skin off and cut crumble up
    • In a medium sized bowl put in 8 ounces of cream cheese a squeeze of lemon, dash of Worcestershire sauce, little white pepper and a sprig of fresh dill that was minced up into the bowl and with a hand mixer, mix it up
    • Now toss in what's left the cured smoked salmon (since you've been sampling it along the way you probably only have about 1/3rd to 1/2 pound left of the original 1 to 1-1/2 pounds) and mix in the salmon until well incorporated.
    • Transfer to smaller bowl cover w/ plastic wrap put back in refrigerator for a couple hours or overnight for the flavors to marry.

Looking at the post might be discouraging but when you do step by step instructions it always looks long and drawn out. With all the above steps the total hands on time is maybe 30 minutes. The dwell time in-between processes is what takes the lions share of the clock and calendar.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  11. one eyed jack

Thanks a bunch Holly I'll give your dip a try soon. Your "making lox" method is very similar to my own, but I've never thought of the dip part.

I appreciate your recipe.

12. gary s

gary s SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

We love Salmon pretty much any fish, we had grilled Flounder last night But really love that Grilled Salmon

Gary