trying it again but need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zarkon0007

Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
hello all. want to thank every one for the tips and encouragment from my last attempt at smoking. i am trying it again on sunday but need a little advice (surprise surprise). first off i am smoking two briskets, around four pounds a piece. problem is my wife bought brisket that has been trimmed. will this change the way i smoke it? i am going use a recipie i found that puts onion and bacon in a pocket slit into the brisket and a simple rub. i am also cooking two racks of spare ribs at the same time. i am figuring they will both take about six hours to do at 225. i am going to use the 3-2-1 cooking plan i found for the ribs. i was thinking i would do the same for the brisket. is this a good or bad idea? i am using apple wood for the smoke, mostly because i have an ample supply. the last time i tried smoking everyone said it was good. i am shooting for great this time so any help would be appreciated

thanks all and have a great labor day weekend

Your briskets could go a few hours more than 6 hrs. I would put the brisket on 4 hours b4 the ribs that way if your brisket gets done b4 ribs you can wrap in foil and some towels ,place in ice chest and it will stay hot while waiting on the ribs. briskets and butts are to hard to call to try to finish them to time w/ something else.  every brisket and butt i've done has been different.

If you are worried about brisket drying out smoke it in a foil pan w/ some broth or water in it . that way it will stay moist  and not dry out .

if you smoke in a pan you need to flipit once so that the smoke can get to all sides of the meat.

well its started. the briskets went on at six and the ribs go in at ten. smoker is smoking well, a little lower in temp than i like between 215 and 225 but if i turn the propane up the wood chips catch on fire so have been kind of winging it with that. will turn it up once the ribs are wrapped in foil.wish me luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky