Trying brisket on my mini, trouble getting the heat up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aggie94

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Texas
Anyone have success doing brisket on their mini?  I smoked one on my large smoker last week, but it takes near constant attention and wanted to have a more relaxing afternoon.  Brisket is 10 lbs, cut it in half and put a piece on each grate, temp staying steady at 200 degrees, can't get it any hotter.  Have it sitting in the sun and outside air temp is pushing 100 degrees today.  Started with water in the pie pan/diffuser pan, checked and after an hour all the water is gone anyway so that isn't the problem.  This is my third cook on the mini, first did ribs, then did stuffed jalapenos and had no trouble keeping 250 degrees.  It is a SJsilver so no side vents, top and bottom wide open and checked to make sure not clogged.  Suggestions?  

Last edited:
Give it time. That 5lb heat sink/diffuser on the bottom rack is gonna make it more difficult. Might need more lit briquettes too. And I wouldn't bother with a water pan.

Last edited:
Md you made me laugh!  
icon_lol.gif
  That is a lot of meat for a small smoker to heat up.  You're right, the temp has slowly crept up to 230 degrees which is fine.  I searched online and someone said to sit the lid a little to the side to allow more airflow, which I tried, but it doesn't really seem to matter if the lid is on tight or not.  

Last edited:
Well cooking brisket did seem to work on the mini.  Temp finally made it up to 250 degrees before it was all done.  Pulled the point on the lower rack at 6 hours and the flat off the top rack at 7.  It was a little difficult checking temp or pulling out to wrap the lower brisket as had to take everything apart to get down to it, went a little past the temp I was aiming for.  Point went to 206 degrees and the flat to 200, was trying for a little lower.  Rested them 2 hours and they are definitely cooked but not sure they are as tender as they should be.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky