Tritip taco suggestions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Having people over on Friday and my wife recommended tri tip tacos. They sound good so what the heck. I’ve never marinated a tritip so not really shire how to go about it or for how long. Does anyone have any input or a good marinade recipe for tritip tacos? Thinking of something with cilantro and lime I would assume.

Run for the Border Rub from chef jimmyj if I recall - its got some heat. You could SPOG and let people spice it to their liking.

I wouldn't marinate - I would rub and reverse sear and slice the goodness. But i am not a marinate kinda guy. brine he poultry rub the pork and beef. but thats just me.

2T Kosher Salt

2T Ancho Chile Powder

1T Chipotle Powder

1T Oregano, Mexican is preferred

1T Gran Garlic

1T Gran Onion

1T Black Pepper

1T Cayenne

1-2tsp Gnd Cumin

1tsp Cocoa Powder

1/2tsp Cinnamon

!Reduce the Chipotle, Black Pepper and Cayenne, to 1 teaspoon Each, for less Heat! Or leave out the Cayenne.

Optional:

1T Tomato Powder

1/4C Turbinado Sugar (Sugar in the Raw)

Makes 3/4 to 1Cup Rub.

I have 4 figures worth of tri tips under my belt. I have never marinaded a TT. Dry brined? Yes.

We make fajita tacos out of tri tips, BUT, we don't marinate them like we do skirt or flank steak. A Montreal Steak Seasoning dry brine, with grilled onions and red bell peppers (jalapeño's optional) served on flour tortillas with fresh-made salsa is always a hit. Fresh lime squeeze, a little, emphasize LITTLE, sour cream, and possibly some guac. I'm not a big fan of guac on fajitas, but others are. Definitely cilantro.

Cut bite-sized across the grain. 125F IT.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation, Sandyut. As a dry rub, this adds a great South Western Flavor.
If you prefer a Marinade, I use the following with Shrimp, Beef, Chicken and Pork. For a Tri-Tip, or large pieces of meat, give a 24 hours soak for better penetration.
Try BOTH the Marinade and Rub. Good Stuff...JJ

Shrimp Fajita Marinade

1/4C Red Wine Vinegar or Fresh Lime Juice
1/4C Olive Oil
2T Soy Sauce
2T Brown Sugar
1T Chili Powder
1tsp Oregano, Mexican preferred.
1/2tsp Kosher Salt
1/2tsp Black Pepper
3-4 Cloves Garlic, Minced.
1/2tsp Cumin

Combine all and whisk well. Set aside.
Clean Shrimp and add to marinade.
Marinate 30 minutes and drain Shrimp.
Thread on soaked bamboo skewers.
Smoke or Grill as desired till just cooked through.
Makes about 3/4 Cup, enough for 1-2 pounds of Shrimp.
Note: Great on Chicken, Pork and Beef. Marinate 8 to 24 hours.

Run for the Border Rub (HOT!)*

2T Kosher Salt
2T Ancho Chile Powder
1T Chipotle Powder
1T Oregano, Mexican is preferred
1T Gran Garlic
1T Gran Onion
1T Black Pepper
1T Cayenne
1-2tsp Gnd Cumin
1tsp Cocoa Powder
1/2tsp Cinnamon

*!Reduce the Chipotle, Black Pepper and Cayenne, to 1 teaspoon Each, for less Heat! Or leave out the Cayenne.

Optional:
1T Tomato Powder
1/4C Turbinado Sugar (Sugar in the Raw)
Makes 3/4 to 1Cup Rub.

Marinated T.T. is amazing, if you haven't done one you should. Hot and fast over oak wood coals is the best way to cook them in my opinion. I'm not a fan of low and slow with T.T. at all.

Try 1 bunch cilantro rough chopped.
1/2-3/4 cup olive or canola oil.
Juice of 1 lime, fresh of course.
2 table spoons of Worcestershire sauce.
3-4 cloves garlic crushed and minced fine.
2-3 scallions or 1/2-3/4 red onion diced.
1-2 pinches of cumin.
Salt & fresh cracked black pepper.
Optional 1/2-3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.

Whisk everything together let it sit at room temperature for 30 min. to and hours to let the flavors meld and marry.

Add Tri Tip to room temperature marinade and put it in the refer for up to 4 hours, I typically let them marinade for 2 hours at least and like them best after a 4 hour soak.

Cook either hot and fast over your favorite wood coals, I like oak or mesquite wood coals. Or you can smoke them to 120* then sear them off over high heat I like a hard sear to 135* internal temperature.
Slice into 1/4" slices and chop into chunks for tacos.

Try it, you most likely have 90% of the marinade ingredients right in your kitchen cabinet.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Marinated T.T. is amazing, if you haven't done one you should. Hot and fast over oak wood coals is the best way to cook them in my opinion. I'm not a fan of low and slow with T.T. at all.

Try 1 bunch cilantro rough chopped.
1/2-3/4 cup olive or canola oil.
Juice of 1 lime, fresh of course.
2 table spoons of Worcestershire sauce.
3-4 cloves garlic crushed and minced fine.
2-3 scallions or 1/2-3/4 red onion diced.
1-2 pinches of cumin.
Salt & fresh cracked black pepper.
Optional 1/2-3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes.

Whisk everything together let it sit at room temperature.
Add Tri Tip to room temperature marinade and put it in the refer for up to 4 hours, I typically let them marinade for 2 hours at least and like them best after a 4 hour soak.

Cook either hot and fast over your favorite wood coals, I like oak or mesquite wood coals. Or you can smoke them to 120* then sear them off over high heat I lile a hard sear to 135* internal temperature.
Slice into 1/4" slices and chop into chunks for tacos.

Try it, you most lilely have 90% of the marinade ingredients right in your kitchen cabinet.

That sounds great unfortunately we cant find tri-tips around here. Thinking of trying it on a skirt or flank steak and searing real quick in a cast iron pan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky