Triple smoked back bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JJS

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Hersey, MI
So I pulled some back bacon out of the freezer for a buddy of mine to try, he said that is awesome but can you put more smoke flavor in it???? Boy can I!!

Started with a 6# loin, dry cured for 10 days.
Friday night 6hrs cold smoke
Sunday during snow storm 6hrs cold smoke
Today 3.5 hrs at 225 with smoke
All smoke was done with apple dust

Hanging out in the fridge for a day for two until I get a few minutes to slice it up
43A575B4-DC98-472D-A47F-F9DA58D9E39A.jpeg
8CA9A66B-A6FD-4341-8A51-B9C2C93628A9.jpeg

The seasoning on top was maple sugar and pepper. Won’t be doing that again!!

What didn't you like about the maple and pepper? I usually just pepper the heck out of mine. Always wondered about using maple sugar or something similar.

What didn't you like about the maple and pepper? I usually just pepper the heck out of mine. Always wondered about using maple sugar or something similar.

I just sprinkled it on in the form that it came off the sugar pot (coarse sugar) and it basically just got rock hard and rolled off, it probably would have been a lot better if I put it in a coffee grinder and made it a finer consistency.

Gotcha. Good tip for the future. Ever considered trying honey powder? I've used it on belly bacon (and about 1,000,000 other things) and it never disappoints.

You can get it on Amazon for like 13.00 and they send you a coffee can worth. It's another great sugar medium to use in all your projects and I think it sets nicer that traditional sugars, albiet a bit thinner of a set

Well it definitely has more smoke than I usually have in it. I am quite happy with the results. I apologize for the lighting
B1EF6DDF-38D9-48CC-96AC-6725CABF5806.jpeg

Try swapping the sugar to maple sugar during the cure. It works very well.

Try swapping the sugar to maple sugar during the cure. It works very well.

I will give it a try on the next batch, didn’t have it when I started this one, kinda just an experiment gone wrong lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky