• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Triple smoked back bacon

JJS

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 17, 2019
So I pulled some back bacon out of the freezer for a buddy of mine to try, he said that is awesome but can you put more smoke flavor in it???? Boy can I!!

Started with a 6# loin, dry cured for 10 days.
Friday night 6hrs cold smoke
Sunday during snow storm 6hrs cold smoke
Today 3.5 hrs at 225 with smoke
All smoke was done with apple dust

Hanging out in the fridge for a day for two until I get a few minutes to slice it up
43A575B4-DC98-472D-A47F-F9DA58D9E39A.jpeg
8CA9A66B-A6FD-4341-8A51-B9C2C93628A9.jpeg

The seasoning on top was maple sugar and pepper. Won’t be doing that again!!

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
What didn't you like about the maple and pepper? I usually just pepper the heck out of mine. Always wondered about using maple sugar or something similar.

JJS

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 17, 2019
What didn't you like about the maple and pepper? I usually just pepper the heck out of mine. Always wondered about using maple sugar or something similar.
I just sprinkled it on in the form that it came off the sugar pot (coarse sugar) and it basically just got rock hard and rolled off, it probably would have been a lot better if I put it in a coffee grinder and made it a finer consistency.

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
Gotcha. Good tip for the future. Ever considered trying honey powder? I've used it on belly bacon (and about 1,000,000 other things) and it never disappoints.

You can get it on Amazon for like 13.00 and they send you a coffee can worth. It's another great sugar medium to use in all your projects and I think it sets nicer that traditional sugars, albiet a bit thinner of a set

JJS

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 17, 2019
I’ll have to give it a try

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Nice looking bacon there guy.

Warren

JJS

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 17, 2019
Well it definitely has more smoke than I usually have in it. I am quite happy with the results. I apologize for the lighting
B1EF6DDF-38D9-48CC-96AC-6725CABF5806.jpeg

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Try swapping the sugar to maple sugar during the cure. It works very well.

JJS

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 17, 2019
Try swapping the sugar to maple sugar during the cure. It works very well.
I will give it a try on the next batch, didn’t have it when I started this one, kinda just an experiment gone wrong lol

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.