Trip to Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All of them, but avoid the chains and stick to smaller independent places.
There's a ton of trailer BBQ outfits now and most are great.
New guys MUST offer superior food if they are going to transition to brick/mortar.
Some are happy to stay in a trailer and not go into debt.

Reactions: JLeonard
When I was travel nursing I did my best to avoid chain restaraunts. Applebees is Applebees where ever you are. What I'd do is when I was at a gas station getting gas or smokes or whatever, I'd ask the clerk...."Hey if I wanted BBQ wheres the best place to go..." And invariably it was some of the best food ever. When I was in Nevada I asked about a breakfast place....The clerk sent me to a literal greasy spoon, I think the only reason it hadnt been shut down was because the health dept couldnt find it :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: :emoji_sunglasses: . But it became my go to for breakfast. The food and service couldnt be beat.
Long story for a short answer....Ask the locals where they go to eat.

Jim

Reactions: mike243
Leaving the bitter cold here in SE south Dakota for a few days and heading to Galveston. Any recommendations on good BBQ and/or steak houses.
You flying in to DFW and driving or some other route?
If going into Dallas then I can recommend some great places but if not I have no good info for you on Galveston.

I also have no good info for you in Houston but it's so big it has to have some good BBQ in it somewhere, hopefully on your way to Galveston and hopefully not too much of a traffic nightmare to deal with but Houston = traffic no matter what lol :D

Gary hope you have a smooth trip and enjoy it. Hopefully you find some good food along the way

And on another note, Houstin is now the home of some of the best Vietnamese food this side of the pond.
There are places that are doing viet fusion modern food that has reviewers going crazy.

Google "Texas Bucket List Galveston" for some great ideas on local eateries.

I love Shane's weekly show and he finds great places to eat.
Enjoy your trip to Texas!

And on another note, Houstin is now the home of some of the best Vietnamese food this side of the pond.
There are places that are doing viet fusion modern food that has reviewers going crazy.
Oh yes, I was able to walk into all kinds of hole in the walls and such and everyone of the Vietnamese was great! Not the case in Dallas. Majority of places trying to do Pho in Dallas are not good. I have to stick to a handful of them but you can't just go into any one up here and be pleased. Which is funny because most other types of food is no problem up here.

You flying in to DFW and driving or some other route?
If going into Dallas then I can recommend some great places but if not I have no good info for you on Galveston.

I also have no good info for you in Houston but it's so big it has to have some good BBQ in it somewhere, hopefully on your way to Galveston and hopefully not too much of a traffic nightmare to deal with but Houston = traffic no matter what lol :D
Flying into Houston, heard traffic sucks.

When I was travel nursing I did my best to avoid chain restaraunts. Applebees is Applebees where ever you are. What I'd do is when I was at a gas station getting gas or smokes or whatever, I'd ask the clerk...."Hey if I wanted BBQ wheres the best place to go..." And invariably it was some of the best food ever. When I was in Nevada I asked about a breakfast place....The clerk sent me to a literal greasy spoon, I think the only reason it hadnt been shut down was because the health dept couldnt find it :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: :emoji_sunglasses: . But it became my go to for breakfast. The food and service couldnt be beat.
Long story for a short answer....Ask the locals where they go to eat.

Jim
Makes sense Jim, thanks

Flying into Houston, heard traffic sucks.
Yeah the entire Houston area is so large an congested that traffic will suck.
Now as for BBQ houses in the Houston area I can't point out any true gems BUT if you want to stop at a Papas BBQ you will get really great BBQ and it honestly does the best BBQ chicken of any BBQ place I've been.

In TX Most places won't fool with chicken and when they do half chickens they are always dry due to being held so long.
Papas BBQ nails it and I think used to have a half chicken lunch special with 2 sides for like $10 or so. It was an amazing deal and plenty of food.
Their brisket is solid but don't be fooled by their beef "back ribs". I wouldn't waste time on beef back ribs when in TX you can maybe find real smoked beef Plate or Short ribs which should be out of this world!
I believe the sausage is fine here too. This is another TX thing. Be sure to try the various smoked bbq sausages and I hope you find one that knocks your socks off.

If you run across a Rudy's Country Store and BBQ it will be rock solid as well with brisket, ribs, and everything else... EXCEPT the sausage. It blows my mind how bad their sausage is with how great the rest of the BBQ is. Their turkey is going to be great and finally... they have my favorite BBQ sauce and to me it is the pinnacle of BBQ sauce, especially for TX style.
BBQ sauce is subjective based on where you are so someone who grows up with the watery vinegar bbq sauce may have that as their preference but I think everyone that tries the Rudy's sauce can really appreciate it and enjoy it. It has a little kick to it so if very heat sensitive you may be better off with the Sissy Sausse version :D

I wish I had some truly unique Houston options for you and wish I had at least one Galveston option for you but I figure this info is better than nothing at all :D

Yeah the entire Houston area is so large an congested that traffic will suck.
Now as for BBQ houses in the Houston area I can't point out any true gems BUT if you want to stop at a Papas BBQ you will get really great BBQ and it honestly does the best BBQ chicken of any BBQ place I've been.

In TX Most places won't fool with chicken and when they do half chickens they are always dry due to being held so long.
Papas BBQ nails it and I think used to have a half chicken lunch special with 2 sides for like $10 or so. It was an amazing deal and plenty of food.
Their brisket is solid but don't be fooled by their beef "back ribs". I wouldn't waste time on beef back ribs when in TX you can maybe find real smoked beef Plate or Short ribs which should be out of this world!
I believe the sausage is fine here too. This is another TX thing. Be sure to try the various smoked bbq sausages and I hope you find one that knocks your socks off.

If you run across a Rudy's Country Store and BBQ it will be rock solid as well with brisket, ribs, and everything else... EXCEPT the sausage. It blows my mind how bad their sausage is with how great the rest of the BBQ is. Their turkey is going to be great and finally... they have my favorite BBQ sauce and to me it is the pinnacle of BBQ sauce, especially for TX style.
BBQ sauce is subjective based on where you are so someone who grows up with the watery vinegar bbq sauce may have that as their preference but I think everyone that tries the Rudy's sauce can really appreciate it and enjoy it. It has a little kick to it so if very heat sensitive you may be better off with the Sissy Sausse version :D

I wish I had some truly unique Houston options for you and wish I had at least one Galveston option for you but I figure this info is better than nothing at all :D
Thanks tallbm

If I were going to Houston, there's one place I would make sure to go.......... Truth BBQ. I've not been there, but would love to go . I've seen enough of Leonard Botella on the internets to tell me, he's the real deal.

Truth

Where ever you choose to try out be sure to take pics and give us a review. Heck I might find myself down that way sometime and follow your lead!

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky