Trial run on new propane broiler

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
I wanted one a long time and finally pulled the trigger when a deal came up. Ecstatic how it worked with it being so cold outside! Grilling is a no go here in Ohio this time of year. Very happy with the outcome but need more practice. Wife made the menu last minute so I had less time to prep. I normally brine brine steaks a few days and do a pellicle. I think that would help alot. Anxious to try some burgers next.

Some surf and turf for the Valentines dinner Sat night. Turned it down to medium and used a lower setting for the lobsters. Wife said not to burn them! Sorry no plate/cut shots. Amazed I remembered to take pictures at all. :emoji_laughing:

20220212_173512_resized.jpg
20220212_174035_resized.jpg
20220212_175028_resized.jpg

It's pretty fast. IIRC I did 3 minutes a side. I have a sear burner in my gas grill so I am used to that sort of speed but I imagine some guys would be surprised. With a pellicle I bet I could get pretty close to the bark of the legendary Peter Luger which is what I am aiming for. Mine were totally wet going in so I knew the bark was gonna be weak. Sum of all parts...

peter-lugers-steakhouse.jpg

Mighty fine.
Brave to use $$ steak on the maiden run.
Even braver being a Valentine's meal for the girlfriend. Sounds as if you have over cooked lobster before?

Looking forward to more test runs

Reactions: zwiller
Cool! Surf and turf looks great!
That is gonna be a real handy tool.

Might be technically classified as a toy but will be handy for things.

Mighty fine.
Brave to use $$ steak on the maiden run.
Even braver being a Valentine's meal for the girlfriend. Sounds as if you have over cooked lobster before?

Looking forward to more test runs

Yeah, risky but I have to trust myself now and then. Wifey wants everything overcooked. For the first time ever in 30 years she told me to take it easy LOL. I think this guy is gonna make some wicked good kabobs.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Got my mouth watering . The food looks fantastic , but that thing is cool . I remember now you talked about it . Really nice .

Nice, just so you some of the best steak houses in the country cook their Prime and A5 that way!

That looks beautiful! Great work on an awesome new toy!

I joke with @chopsaw looks can be deceiving. The lobster was decent but far from ideal. Wife got a good price on it at least.
Got my mouth watering . The food looks fantastic , but that thing is cool . I remember now you talked about it . Really nice .

Was convinced I had a bad unit so I never ran food on it. It's odd, there is no visible flame until you load it with meat. Probably a reaction of sorts.

Nice, just so you some of the best steak houses in the country cook their Prime and A5 that way!
Oh yeah, I been down that rabbit hole more than a few times!

• Haha
Reactions: civilsmoker
Yea don't ask me why I know......It is a crowded hole...
Nice to know I am not the only one. Wife gets sick of the foodie thing now and then. Maybe I asked already but you a civil engineer? I run a title company and work on new surveys and legals every day.

Any guess on what the temp was under that broiler? Everything look super tasty.
H O T, thanks. Product info says 1500F but no real idea. Most temp guns can't even go that high. I imagine the temps are similar to cooking a steak over the raging chimney starter. So there's a couple ways to get there but each have their pros and cons. I think my unit was up to operating temp in a few minutes.

Hestan or Jenn Air equipment?

Mine is made by Ivation and basically a cheaper clone on the Northfire Inferno. I attempted to buy the Northfire but company located in Canada and my bank declined it so I tabled it. Had the Ivation in my Amazon cart a long time and notification it was $99 and I pulled the trigger. Might be time to fix my signature info!

Nice to know I am not the only one. Wife gets sick of the foodie thing now and then. Maybe I asked already but you a civil engineer? I run a title company and work on new surveys and legals every day.
The foodie thing can be a problem for sure! If you ever get to Vegas dinner at Hells Kitchen is a MUST! Christine (HK winner) runs it for GR and it is the REAL DEAL! No other place I've been to has even come close!

Oh yes I am a CE. I have had my fair share of reviewing legals, easements, and ROW plans as well acquisitions. My focus is interstate and interchange design which has included lots of new ROW (including for 3 new interchanges). My current project (life) has about 1000ish parcels on it including a reservation (its a 51 mile corridor with 20 miles through a reservation)...... IE we had/have to batch pulling title because its a bit overwhelming for the title company.......... Ok enough work talk!

Nice looking cook for maiden run.

Warren
Thanks Warren.

The foodie thing can be a problem for sure! If you ever get to Vegas dinner at Hells Kitchen is a MUST! Christine (HK winner) runs it for GR and it is the REAL DEAL! No other place I've been to has even come close!

Oh yes I am a CE. I have had my fair share of reviewing legals, easements, and ROW plans as well acquisitions. My focus is interstate and interchange design which has included lots of new ROW (including for 3 new interchanges). My current project (life) has about 1000ish parcels on it including a reservation (its a 51 mile corridor with 20 miles through a reservation)...... IE we had/have to batch pulling title because its a bit overwhelming for the title company.......... Ok enough work talk!

Vegas is on the list but farther down than a few others but THANKS I will remember that.

Sounds like a big project! Oh yeah, we pass on those sort of things. Worst one I ever saw was a ROW exam for First Energy that went from one side of the state to the other. HARD PASS. It's a shame because it's interesting work but just not feasible for us. We are known locally for our experience with railroad tracts and I price it deliberately so we don't get the job but still somehow end up getting it LOL. Promise, no more work talk.

Reactions: civilsmoker
That is gorgeous!! Perfect even cook on everything. Beautiful job. I'm now thinking of how I could build one. All I'd need is the burner and I could work the rest of it out. I'm REALLY liking this.

Robert

That is gorgeous!! Perfect even cook on everything. Beautiful job. I'm now thinking of how I could build one. All I'd need is the burner and I could work the rest of it out. I'm REALLY liking this.

Robert
Heck yeah. I'd build one if I could. Parts are a plenty. Infrared burner in mine is same in my grill. Love your builds BTW! Someday I would like to get into metal and welding. I have been researching this stuff a LONG time. Back before these little toys were around you would want to find a used "salamander broiler". Big old expensive pro tool. That might give you some info for a build if you search. Also this was before these table top units were here: https://cajunfryer.com/shop/cbb-1-cajun-bayou-broiler/ Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky