Tri-tip!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sounds like Winner, Winner, Tri Tip dinner. Great luck. Post some pics. Love Tri Tip. Hit and miss to find.

Reactions: schlotz
Norm here's the one and only Tri Tip I've done . Just don't see them around here .
Mes , then cast iron sear . It's a great cut of beef .

Way to go Norm!! That's a fantastic surprise coming your way. You really can't go wrong with a TT. The only way to mess it up is to overcook it. Outside of that, options are unlimited. Just show us what you decide to do with it please.

Robert

I've cooked a lot of tri tip but never smoked one, I'm going to smoke one today for the first time.
I've always cooked them Santa Maria style (without a Santa Maria grill though) Rub with SPOG + paprika, chili powder, cumin and Mexican oregano, let rest for sometime (even overnight) with the rub. Right before you put it on the grill prepare a mixture - 1/3 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp minced garlic.
All the charcoal on one side of the Weber, when hot put the tri tip right over the coals. About 2 minutes each side, get a nice char on there then move it over to the non-charcoal side and pop a probe in there. Brush the oil vinegar mix on there and put the lid on. Flip every 7-8 minutes and put the mixture on the up side. Pull at 130 degrees IT and let rest for 5 minutes.
Make sure to look up how to slice a tri tip - the grain changes direction slightly mid muscle and if you just cut it the same one side to the other you'll get half of it with more "pull" than you'd want to.

Smoked to an IT of 115 then reverse seared to 130 for MR and to be honest it was on the tough side.Tasted great but had to do a little extra chewing to get it down the throat,my buddy's chef had the same experience.

Attachments

• 20210117_170216.jpg
    20210117_170216.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210117_173255.jpg
    20210117_173255.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 14
The grain changes direction on those . Sliced across the grain should be pretty tender . Temp looks spot on for me .

Carving wasn't the issue this stuff was just plain tough.I carved it with,against and on the bias and it was just plain tough

Reactions: chopsaw
Smoked to an IT of 115 then reverse seared to 130 for MR and to be honest it was on the tough side.Tasted great but had to do a little extra chewing to get it down the throat,my buddy's chef had the same experience.

That has been my opinion of a TT not overly tender.

Warren

I just did a TT like a brisket. Took the IT to 200. It was budda. Very good. As a side, we cook TT often here. Sous Vide, smoked and is always tender. The worst one was maybe sirloin steak, still wasn’t bad at all.

I just did a TT like a brisket. Took the IT to 200. It was budda.

I have so much of it I will probably do some that way.The meat that's already done will be going into stew and/or chili this weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky