Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fester

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
SoCal
I have probably made a couple hundred tri tips in my time on the BBQ or over a campfire pit using only red oak chunks for fuel. So I decided I would try it out in my Smoke vault. First I trimmed the tips removing a little more of the fat cap than I normally do.

c7d22a98_DSC_0311.jpg

Next I marinated for 8hrs by blending peeled garlic cloves, whole peppercorns, EVOO and Kosher salt until peppercorns are broken up.

Then I seared the fat cap side on a very hot bbq to get the cap hot and start to melt.

35a0d068_DSC_0313.jpg

Now into the smoker cap side up at 230° using red oak and pulled after about 2hrs at 135° internal temp. Then straight onto Q to burn off some of the fat cap and a quick sear on the other side.

bdee6de5_DSC_0315.jpg

After letting them rest for about 40mins I removed the remaining fat cap and sliced. I plated with asparagus that I grilled on the Q and saffron rice. And of course a good Cabernet.

4c7c3dbb_DSC_0317.jpg

The family said it was one of the best tri tip's that I have ever made. And they devoured almost all of the 8lbs of meat. I will be making my tips this way when at home from now on.

icon_cool.gif

Well your tip looks awesome to me. I just wish that we could get the cut here on the east coast.

Great looking Tritip. That might be my second favorite cut of meat behind a good Rib Eye

icon_cool.gif

Well your tip looks awesome to me. I just wish that we could get the cut here on the east coast.
Thanks! But too bad its not available on the east coast.It defiantly is a west coast thing and its a fine tasting cut of meat.

Great looking Tritip. That might be my second favorite cut of meat behind a good Rib Eye
Thanks! We have the same order in favorite cuts of meat.

Nice job. Looks mighty tasty. I'm in Florida and like Mark said we don't get that cut around here. Guess you west coast guys are gonna have to send some care packages to us poor boys on the east coast.   
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Fester, your Tri-tip Recipe looks great. Do you mind sharing the quantities of each ingredient for your marinade that you blended? Thanks in advance Rutman.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky