Tri-tip w/ pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 21, 2006
Western Kansas
HEY! Wife told me she was bringing home camera, so I got a tri-tip ready for pics.

This one has more fat than the last one I did. We'll see how it goes.

Pics will come to this site http://lonefarm.myphotoalbum.com/vie...umName=album05
ASAP. Will give pics as I go and finished product. Just hope it turns out alright.

Using mesquite pellets in a Traeger. Cold out, digital thermo. and just learning how to use it. (I think I liked the old one better.....3 settings)

Marinated in Dale's Steak Seasoning for 2 hrs. Haven't used it before, friend dropped it off the other day when I wasn't in office. Assumed it would work. If it's good I'll take a pic of the bottle, if not.........I won't.

As you were.

Looking good so far! Makes me wish I was not eating Spaghetti this evening, but the little lady is already cooking it.

Getting 505 error, posted this a second ago and got the message. Got it earlier today too. Just to let you know.

Thanks Zardnok. Just wrapped in foil after temp hit 123* and 2 hrs on smoker.

Wife excited(she likes tri tip), kids are play'n video games and could care less as long as there is ice cream after, and popcorn & a movie. Same ol' same ol'.

Will post pics when finished with wife & kids' opinion. Mine is always the same.............."good but could be better". (keeps me smoke'n)

Here are all the pics, click here http://lonefarm.myphotoalbum.com/vie...umName=album05

Marinade, rub, spank, it doesn't matter. Tri-tip will turn out GREAT!!! I don't know how much this one weighed, but it took 3hrs 10min then I let it sit double wrapped in alum foil under 2 sweat shirts and a newpaper for 30 minutes(don't ask why on the paper). I foiled at 123* and took it to 150* then pulled off the smoker. Could have taken it off at 145 as 150 was how we like it, and most don't like med well-well done.

Smelled like a fresh french dip sandwich. Take juice from foil to dip meat in and it is awsome!!!

If you have not tried tri-tip, find some ASAP! Quick, easy and very good. It's not 205* brisket tender, more like 170 brisket. The taste is simply amazing. With all that is involved, this might be better than brisket(and I love brisket).

Hope you enjoy the pics, hope to hang on to camera to take more pics of what I smoke.

Have a safe weekend and watch out on sunday night, plenty of "happy" people will be on the streets.

BTW- smoke 2 tri-tips as one will be consumed before dinner is ready! Don't ask how I know, just take my advise.

BigAl, OMG, that looks so good!!!!!!!!!! (drooling). Youv'e inspired me, I'm going to find a tri-tip this week. Thanks :D

Cheech, I just might have to agree (besides prime rib). Tri-tip doesn't look special, doesn't cost an arm & leg, but WOW! Just a great taste.

I think you have posted before that you like tri-tip better than brisket. If I remember correctly. I do remember thinking you were nuts, too much "smoke"..........but now...........ooooooooo. Better than topless women at half time of a super bowl!

Later Cheech

Tonto1117 just so that you know i have looked all over GR and could only find Tri Tip at Costco. If you find it any where else please let me know.

BigAl I know what you mean it does not make sense when you compare it to brisket but really it is just that good

Cheech, Bud here....the lesser half of Tonto and we love tri tip. Had it at a booth at the old farmer's market on Fulton and Fuller. He sold tri tip sandwiches that were so good. BTW, Gary's Meats in Lowell is a great local butcher. I'll ask him about tri tip this week and let you know.

Big Al, those tir tip pics looked so good, made me want to slap my mama!!!

Sorry I didn't get back. Gary says he normally has 2-3 pound, trimmed tri-tips @ $7.59 pound. How much at Cosco?

ps- he said to call ahead.

bud

WOW that look`s so yummy.....make`s me droolllll ...but i have a question what is a tri tip ??? sorry but i don`t know !!!! i`m new to all these pieces of meat and lingo ??? thanks charlie

This is from a previous thread from Dutch I thing this says it best.
the tri tip is a muscle group in the chuck (shoulder) at the most is weighs maybe 2 1/2 -3 pounds and there is one on each side. Unless the butcher is willing to disect a shoulder to get to it, they usually end up being part of a chuck roast or a chuck steak. The tri-tip is sold as a roast or sliced and sold as steaks.

Thank`s Cheech,
Well i guese it`s not the same as bottom round roast,,,lol,,bottom round on sale tomorrow @ our local supermarket for $1.69lb ... from reading varoius post on jerkey ,, i see the bottom round roast would be the meat to use for that!!
Guese i`m gonna get a cpl of roast in the morning..
Also thinking bout smoking a hole roast beef !!! any ideas or tip`s is greatly appreicated as always !!! thanks again guy`s @ gal`s !!!
Charlie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky