Tri tip, its what is for dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
Been craving a piece of tri tip lately and it seems to be quite a scarce piece of meat here in SC. Happened to stop in Publix the other day and low and behold, what dod they have, but some tri tip, for about 9.45 a lb at about 2.3 lbs.

Picked it up with plans to toss it in the smoker today. Pulled it from the fridge and gave it a good coat of s.p.o.g. with some chipotle mixed into it. 20200802_114238.jpg

Got the MES up to 225 and in it goes with some apple chips. Planned on smoking it till it hit 135, yank it from the smoker and sear ot on the grill. Was expecting the smoke for about 2-2.5 hrs, ended up being closer to 1.5 hrs when it hit 133.

Fired up the grill and got a nice sear on each side, wrapped it in foil and a couple of towels to rest in a small cooler till dinner time. Carry over cook in the cooler got me to 145, anything less than that and the wife isnt happy.

Pulled it from the cooler about 10 mins before dinner to slice it up

Before slicing IMG_20200802_175102_647.jpg

After slicing 20200802_175310.jpg

20200802_175248.jpg

Made up some mac and cheese and a bit of corn on the side and the family was happy.

Had some juice from the bottom of the foil I poured over the meat, man thats good stuff. Ive had some already rubbed tri tip a cpl times on the grill but they did not compare to this one, man it was good.

Last edited:
Looks great Kevin. Picked up two today myself, and had never seen them here before. Finally!

Looks very good and cooked just right for my taste. I never saw Tri tip in Ohio until beef became short here a couple months ago. I see it now routinely in the stores. Not sure why.

Excellent looking TT. Publix is carrying them now here too, but they are pricey. I buy one every once in a while, but for half the price I can get a Prime brisket. The wifey likes brisket better than TT, so that’s how we roll.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky